[Ct-nfb] Which would you prefer working for a penny or sitting home?

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Mon Apr 14 06:00:02 UTC 2014

Rich, Nathanael, and all:

                Keeping my thumbs employed on my space bar, I have a few responses to this commentary.  I was not in attendance at this board meeting, but I may be able to provide some valuable additional perspective.

Does anyone really believe that the only other alternative to sheltered employment for the current sheltered workshop employees is sitting at home doing nothing?  I had a state senator tell me that he thought getting people into a residential sheltered workshop was better than letting them waste away in an institution somewhere.  I replied by pointing out the fact that this is wasting away in an institution somewhere.

In the absence of contracts, the sheltered workshop clients go into the shop and hang out.  They aren’t being productive.  Life is comfortable and expectations are nonexistent.  What’s so bad about that?  Where there might have been a door to a future of productivity exists now a wall of concrete.  It is a beautiful wall with butterflies painted on it, but it is nonetheless a concrete wall.

As the data and research demonstrate, supported employment is a universally better alternative to sheltered employment.  It produces a higher return on investment for states and employers.  It creates much more successful and productive workers.  If sheltered workshop clients were to transition immediately to supported employment models, they would all benefit.

If program administrators continue to allow the exploitation of our people, they have no grounds upon which to argue that they do not support it.  Every second of our lives, we Americans make a decision about what we are going to do.  When it comes to sheltered employment, we can choose a path toward its eradication or a path allowing its continuation.  Not acting at all generally allows its continuation.

I agree with those who believe in the need for a continuum of services.  What sheltered employment creates is a continuum of wages and a chasm in what should be a continuum of services.

Yours,

Justin