[Ct-nfb] Your help is needed!

Edward personal.edward at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:19:02 UTC 2014

Greetings federation members,

As many of you may recall, there is a lot of legislative action going on in
the state of California around the issue of Fair Wages. Here is a summary:

AJR 36 encourages California Members of the United States House of
Representatives to support the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act
(H.R. 831).

S.B. 1109 says that no entity that pays people with disabilities subminimum
wages can receive a contract from the state of California.

This resolution and bill directly support our goal of fair wages for people
with disabilities. In order to get the resolution and bill passed, we need
to show our support. Although letters from Californians are preferred, we
need to show as much support for these issues as possible. Please write
letters of support for AJR 36 and S.B. 1109 to the following addresses by
Monday, April 21, 2014. Thank you for your time and effort. Together, we
will ensure that people with disabilities are paid the fair wages they
deserve.

Letters in support of S.B. 1109 should be sent to:

The Honorable Ben Hueso

State Capitol, Room 2054

Sacramento, CA 95814

Fax: (916) 651-4940

E-mail: David.Sforza at sen.ca.gov <mailto:David.Sforza at sen.ca.gov> .

Letters in support of AJR 36 should be sent to:

The Honorable Roger Hernandez

Chair, Assembly Committee on Labor and Employment

1020 N Street, Room 155

Sacramento, CA 95814

Roger.Hernandez at asm.ca.gov <mailto:Roger.Hernandez at asm.ca.gov> .

Here are sample letters that you should feel free to use for the bill and
the resolution.

The Honorable Ben Hueso

State Capitol, Room 2054

Sacramento, CA 95814

Dear Senator Hueso:

Thank you for introducing S.B. 1109 State contracts: integrated employment:
persons with disabilities.

As a person with a disability, I support this bill because I feel that
paying people with disabilities subminimum wages is immoral, discriminatory
and unfair. I know that if state contracts are only awarded to entities that
pay all workers at least the minimum wage, then businesses that utilize
14(c) certificates will likely change their business models so that they can
obtain state contracts. Just as President Obama's recent Executive Order
will ensure that people with disabilities employed under federal government
contracts that provide services and concessions will be paid $10.10 an hour,
it is encouraging that state contracts in California will also ensure people
with disabilities the pay equality we deserve.

The biggest obstacle facing people with disabilities is that we are often
held to lower expectations than our non-disabled peers. Legally allowing
entities to pay us subminimum wages just reinforces this fallible belief.
Passage of this bill will be a great step forward in ensuring that people
with disabilities are paid fair wages.

Thank you for fighting for equality for people with disabilities.

Sincerely,

The Honorable Roger Hernandez

Chair, Assembly Committee on Labor and Employment

1020 N Street, Room 155

Sacramento, CA 95814,

Dear Chairman Hernandez:

I write to express my support for AJR 36. I sincerely hope that this
resolution is adopted because it will alert the Members of Congress from
California about the importance of H.R. 831: the Fair Wages for Workers with
Disabilities Act. If passed, H.R. 831 will end the unfair, immoral and
discriminatory practice of paying people with disabilities subminimum wages.
If the entire California delegation in the House of Representatives became
cosponsors of H.R. 831, the bill would have a much better chance of becoming
law.

Over 400,000 people with disabilities are being paid subminimum wages. This
immoral practice is legal under Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards
Act of 1938. Although likely passed with good intentions, Section 14(c) is a
detriment to people with disabilities. Our biggest obstacle to overcome is
the low expectations set for us by people without disabilities. We, people
with disabilities, know that we are capable of being productive, valuable
members of society when the proper training and supports are provided.
Section 14(c) reinforces the misconception that people with disabilities are
not as productive as individuals without disabilities; the passage of H.R.
831 will be a great step towards erasing this misconception.

Adopting AJR 36 will help gain support for H.R. 831 and will help accomplish
the long term goal of ensuring that people with disabilities are not exempt
from the minimum wage. No one can live on subminimum wages, especially
people with disabilities.

I hope that you will support AJR 36.

Thank you,

Rose, edward