[Ct-nfb] FW: National Federation of the Blind Newsletter - Season's Greetings

Edward personal.edward at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 23:46:54 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind
[mailto:IOF at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2014 6:42 PM
To: Edward Shaham
Subject: National Federation of the Blind Newsletter - Season's Greetings

 National Federation of the Blind logo with tagline: Live the life you
want.<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/nfb_logo_2.jpg>
Imagineering Our Future

Issue 70

December 2014

In this issue:

	*	Message from the President
	*	What's News at the NFB
	*	Education
	*	From the tenBroek Library
	*	Independence Market
	*	Advocacy
	*	NFB-NEWSLINER
	*	NFB Calendar
	*	Citation

  Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Message from the President

Dear Friends:

 Riccobono family at a Christmas
party.<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/riccobonos%20christmas%20party
1%20_2_.jpg>

That noise on the roof is not quite Saint Nick. Over the weekend I was up on
the roof of our sun porch hanging lights for the Riccobono family's
celebration of Christmas. While I was out there in the cold, I began
wondering what people think when they see someone hanging around on a roof.
Then I got to thinking about what some of the neighbors think when they see
the guy down the street, who they know is blind, working on the roof. While
a blind person walking down the street with the long white cane is no longer
a new thing to many people, a blind guy simply decorating the house for the
holidays from the top of the roof might still be something most have never
experienced.

I am thankful that I have learned the alternative techniques that blind
people use to live full and independent lives. There was a time when I did
not know how a blind person could effectively manage a home and do all of
the things that one might want to do to make that home special to the
family. My wife Melissa, who is also blind, and I have owned our home in
northeast Baltimore for a decade. We have been living the lives we want and
building our family without making a big deal to the neighborhood that we
are blind. However, it is easy to forget that by living the lives we want,
we have a dramatic impact on the understanding of blindness in our
neighborhood.

When I was about halfway through clipping the lights to our roof, I heard a
neighbor coming down the street with her dog. I was prepared for her concern
about my safety, or even for her to stand on the sidewalk and watch me
protectively. Instead, she called up to me and remarked how beautiful the
lights looked. From there we had a neighborly conversation about the demands
of life and fitting in all of the things we hope to get done in the busy
holiday season.

In the National Federation of the Blind we raise expectations for the blind
because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our
dreams. It is always heartwarming to know that by putting the techniques and
positive philosophy of the Federation to work in our daily lives, we enrich
ourselves and we make a significant contribution to how other blind people
are viewed in our communities.

Although we have a substantial nationwide network of blind people, there are
still many newly blind individuals who do not yet know about the National
Federation of the Blind. During this great holiday season, please share the
hope and opportunity we offer to blind people by telling those you know who
are experiencing vision loss about the National Federation of the Blind.

>From the Riccobono family to you and yours, have a joyous and warm holiday
season with all of the meaning, fellowship, and hope that we are reminded of
during this special time.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the rooftop,

 Graphic: Signature of Mark
Riccobono<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/MAR_signature.jpg>

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind

 Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

What's News at the NFB

National Federation of the Blind Partners with Santa to Promote Braille
Literacy

Once again, Santa has enlisted the help of the elves at the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute to get Braille letters out to
hundreds of blind boys and girls this Christmas season. Between November 17
and December 19, parents can fill out an online Santa Braille Letter Request
Form
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3966&qid=687905>
. The form can also be printed and faxed to (410) 685-2340. Beginning
December 1, the Braille letters from Santa will start going out to blind
boys and girls around the country. The Braille letter will also be
accompanied by a print copy (for mom and dad to read). The deadline for
letter requests is December 19, so be sure to get your requests in right
away! More details on our program with Santa can be found in this fun video.
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3967&qid=687905>

National Federation of the Blind to Award Thirty Scholarships in 2015

To recognize achievement by blind scholars, the National Federation of the
Blind annually offers blind college students in the United States and Puerto
Rico the opportunity to win one of thirty merit-based, national-level
scholarships in amounts ranging from $3,000 to $12,000. All scholarships
awarded are based on academic excellence, community service, and leadership.
The application period runs from November 1 through March 31, 2015. To learn
more about our scholarship program and/or to apply online, please visit
www.nfb.org/scholarships
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3968&qid=687905>
.

Save the Date for Our Seventy-Fifth Annual Convention

The date has been set: the 2015 National Federation of the Blind National
Convention will be held from July 5-10, 2015, once again at the beautiful
Rosen Centre in Orlando, Florida. More information about the exciting plans
for this historic convention will be coming shortly.

Cardtronics Establishes Accessibility Center of Excellence

On November 24, Cardtronics Inc. announced the establishment of the
Cardtronics Accessibility Center of Excellence.
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3969&qid=687905>
The Center of Excellence, which aims to deliver an industry-leading,
voice-guided user experience at Cardtronics-supported ATMs, is part of a
multi-year agreement by and among the company, the National Federation of
the Blind, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The agreement resolves
class-action litigation concerning the accessibility of Cardtronics' fleet
of ATMs to blind consumers and is subject to the approval of members of the
class and the court. In collaboration with the NFB, Cardtronics will develop
enhanced voice guidance software that will provide a fully accessible and
superior user experience for blind customers at its ATMs. Within the Center
of Excellence, voice guidance capabilities will be incorporated into new ATM
technologies, helping to ensure that future ATM innovation is also fully
accessible to blind users.

 Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Education

NFB STEM2U Baltimore

November 6-9, 2014, the National Federation of the Blind hosted the first of
six regional STEM programs associated with its National Center for Blind
Youth in Science initiative
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3970&qid=687905>
, which is funded by a three-year grant from the National Science
Foundation. NFB STEM2U Baltimore brought together seventeen juniors (blind
children in grades 3-6) and their parents, twelve teachers of the blind, and
seven apprentices (blind youth in grades 9-12). The activities for the youth
were developed through collaboration with staff from Port Discovery
Children's Museum. During the program, the juniors and apprentices engaged
in STEM activities in green engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical
engineering, and nanoscience. On Friday, students learned about the
engineering design process as they designed, built, redesigned, and rebuilt
cars out of recyclables (e.g., cereal boxes, CDs, yogurt containers, soda
cans). On Saturday, the youth spent the day at Port Discovery engaging in
engineering and nanoscience activities as well as exploring the museum.
During the program, parents attended workshops designed to provide parents
with the information and resources that they need to ensure their blind
children have access to all of the learning opportunities that they will
need to grow up to be successful blind adults. The teacher workshops focused
on various tools, technologies, and techniques for making STEM content
accessible to blind students in the classroom. Photos from NFB STEM2U
Baltimore can be found on the National Federation of the Blind's Facebook
page.
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3971&qid=687905>
Future NFB STEM2U programs will be held in Boston (March 12-14, 2015) and
Columbus (May 14-16, 2015) later this school year. During the 2015-2016
school year, NFB STEM2U will travel to Minneapolis, San Francisco, and
Phoenix.

 Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

>From the tenBroek Library

The tenBroek Library is pleased to announce the latest addition to our
growing collection of accessible exhibits! During the last ten years, the
library has become home to many unique installations that document the work
and history of the National Federation of the Blind. Joining our collection,
which already features a space capsule, a rocket ship, and an ax stuck into
a chunk of wood, is a red metal dune buggy.

For those familiar with the NFB's Blind Driver Challenge
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3972&qid=687905>
and the 2009 Youth Slam
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3973&qid=687905>
, the addition of a dune buggy to our collection will make perfect sense.
The Blind Driver Challenge was the result of collaboration between the NFB
and the Robotics and Mechanisms Laboratory at the Virginia Polytechnic
Institute. This project culminated in the world's first car that could be
driven independently by a blind person, which was successfully navigated by
NFB President Mark Riccobono on the track at Daytona International Speedway
on January 29, 2011.

However, it is a lesser known fact that an earlier incarnation of the Blind
Driver Challenge vehicle was a little red dune buggy, tested by blind
students at the 2009 Youth Slam on a track at the University of Maryland,
College Park. Student drivers, many of whom had never dreamed it was
possible for them to drive a car, helped the Virginia Tech engineering
students who had designed the vehicle by taking it for a spin. This
invaluable user testing made later versions of the vehicle possible, and
shattered society's limited expectations of blindness for every one of the
two hundred participants at the event!

The Blind Driver dune buggy is now on display on the library floor, along
with all of our other exhibits and resources, which are available to
visitors and researchers alike. Stop by and see for yourself!

 Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Independence Market

Our NFB Independence Market
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3979&qid=687905>
is a conduit through which we distribute information about learning to cope
effectively with blindness, so you can live the life you want. This time of
year many are very interested in the blindness products available for
purchase through the NFB Independence Market. Here is some information about
the newest items we added to our inventory in the past month.

We are excited to announce that we just started carrying the Bradley Tactile
Watch
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3975&qid=687905>
. This unique timepiece is an innovative fashion watch that was designed
with both the sighted and blind in mind. Instead of traditional watch hands,
time is shown by two ball bearings-the one on the face indicating minutes
and the one on the side indicating hours. These two ball bearings are
connected, with magnets, to a watch movement beneath the watch face. The
magnets make it so that even if the ball bearings are moved when touched,
they spring back to the correct time with a gentle shake of the wrist. The
watch face features distinct tactile markings at five-minute intervals. The
body of the Bradley is titanium, making it sleek, easy to clean, and
durable. The watch band is stainless steel mesh with a clasp. The advertised
holiday retail price is $242.25, but if you contact the NFB Independence
Market via phone, we can offer you an even better member price.

The next two new items are helpful in getting your wardrobe organized. We
have been selling Braille clothing labels
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3976&qid=687905>
for a long time. But we have just added a new version that focuses on more
conservative colors and may be more appealing for guys. The following labels
are included in the pack of one hundred tags: twelve black, twelve dark
blue, eight light blue, eight brown, eight gray, eight white, eight plaid,
eight print, eight striped, four dark green, four light green, four dark
purple, four red, and four tan. Just ask for the "guys" version of our
Braille color labels. And if sewing in clothing labels is not your thing, we
also have a talking color identifier.  We recently started carrying the
Colorino Talking Color Identifier and Light Detector
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3977&qid=687905>
, which detects over 150 color shades.

The NFB has been involved with the development of the next two products.
This fall we started selling the InTACT Sketchpad and the InTACT Eraser
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3978&qid=687905>
. The lightweight and durable design of the inTACT Sketchpad enables blind
children and adults to easily create raised line drawings on plastic sheets.
The InTACT Eraser is essentially a handheld battery-operated iron; it is
used to flatten raised lines the user has created with the intact Sketchpad
on the plastic drawing sheets. The eraser can be used to correct mistakes,
change lines when the user has new ideas, and generally edit what has been
drawn-in short it functions just like a rubber eraser used by a sighted
person to fix pencil drawings. We also sell the InTACT Sketchpad and Eraser
as a kit, which is more cost effective than buying the items separately.

Of course, the NFB Independence Market carries many other blindness products
that enhance the independence of blind individuals. Remember to check out
the Independence Market this holiday season when you are shopping for gifts
for your blind family members and friends. Visit us online
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3979&qid=687905>
or contact us with any questions via email at independencemarket at nfb.org, or
via phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216. Be sure to place your order by
phone, if you need expedited shipping.

 Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Advocacy

Effective Communication for Students

In November, the U.S. Departments of Education and Justice jointly released
guidance regarding effective communication for public elementary and
secondary students with communication-related disabilities, including
blindness. Whether a parent, student, or educator, understanding students'
legal rights and the guidance surrounding them is critical to effectively
advocating for auxiliary aids, accommodations, and instruction in the
classroom. The Departments' guidance defines effective communication under
Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education
Act, and is provided in the form of a letter to educators, frequently asked
questions, and a fact sheet for parents. Please take time to review and
share these documents:

*	Dear Colleague Letter (November 12, 2014)
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3980&qid=687905>
*	Frequently Asked Questions on Effective Communication for Students
with Hearing, Vision, or Speech Disabilities in Public Elementary and
Secondary Schools
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3981&qid=687905>
*	Fact Sheet for Parents
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3982&qid=687905>

For additional information, contact Valerie Yingling, paralegal, at (410)
659-9314, extension 2440, or Vyingling at nfb.org.

 Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

NFB-NEWSLINER

NFB-NEWSLINER Continues to Expand Its Publications List

Recently we have added a number of international newspapers to our growing
service, including Japan Times, the Montreal Gazette, the Vancouver Sun and
Daily News Egypt.  The Japan Times is a daily newspaper from Tokyo, and was
first published on March 22, 1897. It contains domestic, world, and business
news; opinion/editorials; lifestyle; entertainment; and sports coverage. The
Montreal Gazette, an English-language newspaper based out of Montreal,
Canada, was founded in 1778 by Fleury Mesplet and is Quebec's oldest daily
newspaper. The Vancouver Sun, a daily newspaper from the province of British
Columbia, was first published on February 12, 1912. Rounding out the newest
international selections is the Daily News Egypt, which is Egypt's only
daily independent newspaper in English. The newspaper originally launched in
2005. It provides news articles on politics, business, opinion, lifestyle,
and culture, as well as investigative features, tourism articles, and
interviews.

You can access these new international publications, along with four-hundred
others, on the free NFB-NEWSLINER service via your touch-tone telephone by
dialing your local NFB-NEWSLINER number and entering your subscriber ID and
your security code, then pressing five for newspapers in a different state,
and then pressing six for international newspapers. If you are not yet a
subscriber to NFB-NEWSLINER, you can visit our website at
www.nfbnewsline.org
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3983&qid=687905>
to fill out an application, or call the National Federation of the Blind at
(866) 504-7300.

  Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

NFB Calendar

Upcoming Events

December 2, 2014: NFB #GivingTuesday
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3984&qid=687905>

January 26, 2015: NFB Washington Seminar Great Gathering In

March 12-15, 2015: NFB STEM2U Boston (MA), Museum of Science

March 26-27, 2015: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium

May 14-16, 2015: NFB STEM2U Columbus (OH), COSI

July 5-10, 2015: 75th Annual Convention of the National Federation of the
Blind

August 2-8, 2015: NFB STEM2U EQ

   Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Citation

We are altering the course of our history-not only when the time is right
but as the need arises. The future is not a matter of prediction but
decision-our decision. We have the example of our founder, Dr. tenBroek, and
our leader, Dr. Jernigan. With growing momentum we are building upon what we
in the Federation have already accomplished. Each of us must contribute our
energy, and the combined effort has already become the strongest force that
the field of work with the blind has ever known. The wing of the butterfly
has flapped. But more than that, we have made it flap. The winds of change
that are blowing will sweep away the old ideas, and we who are blind will
gain our freedom. This is our promise-to ourselves and to the blind of
coming generations! This is the commitment that was made at the time we
first came to organize. This is the commitment we reaffirm today. We always
keep our word. Our future is in our own hands. Let us go together to meet
it!

--Marc Maurer. "Let the Wing of the Butterfly Flap."
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3985&qid=687905>
1994 NFB National Convention, Detroit, Michigan, July 6, 1994.

   Graphic: section
divider<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

 Thank you for reading the NFB's Imagineering Our Future.

Help make a significant difference in the lives of blind people across the
country.

 Better Business Bureau Accredited Charity
Logo<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/bbb.jpg>    Combined Federal
Campaign Approved Charity
Logo<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/cfc_logo.gif>       Charity
Watch Top Rated
Logo<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/cw-top-rated.jpg>
GuideStar Exchange Gold Participant
Logo<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/gximage2.png>

Make a Gift Today
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3986&qid=687905>

Back to Top

  Photo: Youth
Slam<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/youth-slam.jpg>

Make a Gift Today
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3987&qid=687905>

To donate a vehicle to the NFB, call toll-free
(855) 659-9314
or visit our
vehicle donation
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3988&qid=687905>
page.

 To donate clothing or household items to the NFB, visit www.nfbpickup.org/
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3989&qid=687905>
or call toll-free
(888) 610-4632
to schedule a pickup or to find drop locations.

 Photo: Father and
Child<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/father-and-child.j
pg>

If this issue was forwarded to you and you would like to subscribe, please
email JerniganInstitute at nfb.org.

 Photo: White Water
Rafting<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/white-water-raft
ing.jpg>

Please check with your company to see if it offers a matching program that
will match your gift.

 Photo: Girl Playing
Flute<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/musician.jpg>

Interesting links:

Archive of Straight Talk About Vision Loss videos
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3990&qid=687905>

National Center for Blind Youth in Science
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3991&qid=687905>

Access Technology Tips
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3992&qid=687905>

TeachBlindStudents.org
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3993&qid=687905>

 Photo: Martial
Arts<http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/martial-arts.jpg>

Blogs:

Access Technology
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3994&qid=687905>

Voice of the Nation's Blind
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3995&qid=687905>

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/jinewsletter/famengdaymark.jpg>

Support the National Federation of the Blind through the Imagination Fund.
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=3996&qid=687905>

National Federation of the Blind 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place,
Baltimore, MD 21230

Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=1382&qid=687905&h=a17f30
2f35934e55>