[Ct-nfb] National Federation of the Blind Urges Senate Passage of ABLE Act

Edward personal.edward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 18:40:29 UTC 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Urges Senate Passage of ABLE Act

Baltimore, Maryland (December 4, 2014): The National Federation of the Blind
<http://www.nfb.org/> , the nation's leading organization of blind
Americans, today commended the United States House of Representatives for
passing the Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act yesterday, and
urged the United States Senate to pass the legislation as quickly as
possible. The ABLE Act allows Americans with disabilities to set up savings
accounts to provide for expenses such as housing, transportation, continuing
education, and medical care, even while receiving critical benefits such as
SSI and Medicaid.

Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"Many blind Americans are trapped in poverty and dependence because they
cannot save the funds to work toward a better life without losing the
benefits on which they currently depend. The ABLE Act will allow the blind
and others with disabilities to escape this trap so that they can ultimately
achieve personal and economic independence and self-sufficiency. We applaud
the House of Representatives for passing this critical legislation with
overwhelming bipartisan support, and we urge the United States Senate to do
the same expeditiously."

###

blindness is not what holds you back.