[Ct-nfb] FW: Blindness Product News

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Tue Feb 11 17:44:08 UTC 2014

From: Gayle Yarnall [mailto:gayle at nelowvision.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 11:18 AM
To: erival at comcast.net
Subject: Blindness Product News

Blindness Product News

I know I just sent out an email with information about blindness products
that I felt worth passing on.  Well, the times they are a changing and I
have more news.

Have you heard that Window-Eyes is now free to anyone with an authorized
version of MS Office 2010 or above?  This sure changes the screen reader
playing field.  Apple was certainly first with their IOS operating system
that makes all I Pads and I Phones talk and display information in larger
print with better contrast.  The Mac products are also accessible to the
visually impaired at no extra cost.  NVDA has been providing free screen
reader access for Windows for quite a while but.

Now students can have the same powerful screen reader at home and at school
at no cost.  I predict that more and more people, when it is time to upgrade
their JAWS, will move over to free.  Good Job GW Micro.

Human Ware has just released Version 4.3 for the New Generation Victor
Stream.  Now we can listen to internet radio on our stream and find the
stations we want creating station play lists and listening to the news.  We
have more flexibility when searching for books on BookShare.  We can look up
words in BookShare books or NewsLine articles in Wikipedia and learn more
about the item.  I love my Victor Stream even more than before.  If you have
not upgraded to the new Victor, it is time to do so. This new software is
free but if you need to purchase the new player you can do so from New
England Low Vision.

Duxbury has recently released DBT version 11.2. A document can be converted
from Nemeth code to standard print.  This means a student can prepare a copy
of their work that a teacher can understand. This version will work with the
new Bana formats being used in the US. DBT 11.2 handles tabular format,
Excel files, and can deal with many more languages.

You can order your upgrade from New England Low Vision and Blindness.

Gayle Yarnall

New England Low Vision  |  799 West Boylston Street  |  Worcester, MA  01606

508-853-8200 - phone  |  508-853-8201 - fax  |  www.nelowvision.com

gayle at nelowvision.com

***formerly...Let's Go Technology, Inc.