[Ct-nfb] FW: Fwd: I'm not allowed to save money

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Sun Feb 16 14:34:13 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Ct-nfb [mailto:ct-nfb-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Danielle
Spruill
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:25 PM
To: ct-nfb at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Ct-nfb] Fwd: I'm not allowed to save money

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Sara Wolff via Change.org" <mail at change.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 21:37:36 +0000
Subject: I'm not allowed to save money
To: dspruill87 at gmail.com

I'm 31 years old, and I happen to have Down syndrome. I have two jobs, and
lead an independent life, however, when my mom died suddenly last year,
things got a lot harder for me and my family. I want to support myself and
save money for my future, but if I save more than $2,000, I'll lose the
benefits I depend on like Medicaid and Social Security.

That's because of a law that says that people with disabilities like me
can't have more than $2,000 in assets or we risk losing the benefits we need
to live. For me, living on my own, that means I can't even save enough to
put down rent and a security deposit on an apartment. This law keeps me
dependent on other people, and that's really scary now that my mom is gone.

But there is a solution: The ABLE Act. The Achieving a Better Life
Experience Act is a bill in Congress that would allow people like me to save
money for our futures through 529-like accounts that wouldn't impact our
medical care and disability benefits.

I started a petition on Change.org calling on Congress to pass the ABLE Act
this year. Will you click here to sign it?

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-united-states-congress-pass-the-able-ac
t?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=48777&alert_id=TjLvA
dIqOY_dFXddYqxCK

It's very scary for me to be on my own knowing I'm not allowed to save money
in case something goes wrong. I've worked so hard to build a life for
myself, living on my own and working as a law clerk. It's horrible to think
I could lose everything because I have no security.
I dream of living on my own, working one, full-time job, and even taking
postsecondary courses to earn a degree.

With an ABLE account, I would not only have security, I could also plan for
my future. This bill will not only change my life but has the potential to
change the lives of millions of people with and without disabilities.

Some people think my disability holds me back, but they're wrong. I've
learned that I can be independent, even without my mom, as hard as that is.
I can hold down a job, and even speak at rallies in Washington, DC. I just
need to be allowed to make my own way and plan for my better life. Will you
help me make that possible?

Please click here to sign my petition calling on Congress to pass the ABLE
Act so that people like me can plan for our futures.

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-united-states-congress-pass-the-able-ac
t?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=48777&alert_id=TjLvA
dIqOY_dFXddYqxCK

When this bill passes, I'll be standing next to President Obama when he
signs it. And I'll thank you for making that moment happen.

Thank you,

Sara Wolff
Moscow, PA

This email was sent by Change.org to dspruill87 at gmail.com.

Edit your email preferences:
http://www.change.org/account_settings/edit_email_preferences?utm_source=act
ion_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=48777&alert_id=TjLvAdIqOY_dFXddYqxCK
Unsubscribe from Change.org emails:
xVGIdm4=&utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=48777&alert_i
d=TjLvAdIqOY_dFXddYqxCK

Mailing Address: 216 West 104th Street, Suite #130 . New York, NY 10025 .
USA