[Ct-nfb] Fwd: I'm not allowed to save money

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Sun Feb 16 19:10:15 UTC 2014

Justin,

This is indeed an interesting bill--I just googled it.  It creates something
different than PASS: the goal with PASS is that it's, well, a plan to
achieve self-support through gainful work which (as I calculate it) would
need to be above the minimum wage even for full-time work.  The sort of
accounts that would be set up would be for, I presume, people who would not
be able to ever be so gainfully employed and would always be receiving S.S.I
and always subject to that $2,000 resource limit.  In fact, after I
graduated from college and started working as an engineer for the State of
California my entry-level salary made me still eligible for S.S.I.; I became
ineligible first because I was able to put money into savings and went over
$2,000--ultimately and in the end a very good thing.

For persons needing S.S.I. who, for any number of reasons, are likely to
never be self-supporting, these plans sound like a very good idea.  I think
of an example that Chris Khuel gave once of a family friend who was only
making pennies an hour but couldn't even conceive of money--a shame he was
made to find "fulfillment" doing menial tasks instead of having likely far
better enriching experiences, but that's another matter about which we're
passionate...  Or a deacon from my parish, who has also supported us with a
very nice letter to Rosa DeLauro, who has a 22-year old daughter who
receives S.S.I. and, again, will likely never work full-time above the
minimum wage.  These accounts will allow their families to provide for them
in the long term without forcing them into poverty or ridiculous spending
sprees to bring down their resources to $2,000 and get Medicaid again.

This is likely a bill on which the NFB will not take a position because it
deals with different disability subject matter than is our mission, but I
think many of us will have our own personal opinions.

Enjoy your weekend,
Nathanael