[Ct-nfb] FW: Cable industry comes after Congress

Terry Hulbert via Ct-nfb ct-nfb at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 23:26:00 UTC 2014

Dear Federationists,

I think that is an issue that should be dealt with as soon as possible.
While I haven't seen the bill, it sounds ominous. I don't like the FCC
tampering with the internet to suit big corporations. If you feel strongly
about this, please contact your congress person by phone, EMAIL, or fax
telling them that you are against the FCC tampering with the free internet.
If anybody has a copy of the actual bill, I'd like to see it. Please let me
know how anybody likes the message I got below.

Thanks

Terry

The message is below.

 <http://freepress.net/?akid=4752.10282589.RK1Ud3> free press action fund

Dear James,

Usually we write and ask you to sign something.

But today we need your help to keep a letter from being signed.

The Free Press Action Fund has gotten its hands on a copy of the email being
sent by a top cable lobbyist to members of Congress urging them to oppose
"broadband reclassification" and real Net Neutrality.

Call Congress now and tell your rep: Don
<http://act.freepress.net/call/call_congress_NN_cable_letter/?t=1&akid=4752.
10282589.RK1Ud3> 't sign that letter!

Lobbyist Tom Downey - a former member of Congress now representing the
National Cable and Telecommunications Association - is sending a note around
on Capitol Hill that reads in part:

Downey McGrath Group represents the NCTA, the National Cable and
Telecommunications Association, and they have asked me to contact you
regarding the current policy discussion on net neutrality.

As you know the Federal Communications Commission is poised to take up this
question later this week when Chairman Wheeler introduces his proposal on
the issue. Congressman Gene Green is circulating the attached letter to the
Commission asking that the Commission not reclassify broadband service as a
Title II service.

Yep, that's right. While the letter is nominally being circulated by a
member of Congress, it's the cable lobbyists themselves that are doing the
real legwork.

Call Congress now and tell your rep: Don
<http://act.freepress.net/call/call_congress_NN_cable_letter/?t=2&akid=4752.
10282589.RK1Ud3> 't sign that letter!

You know your actions are making an impact when the cable lobby starts
conspiring against you.

Your member of Congress needs to know that you know this letter was written
and shopped around by the cable industry. And that signing it is
unacceptable.

The cable industry has called the shots on Capitol Hill for too long. We
need to remind our representatives who they really work for - and that we
want nothing less than real Net Neutrality.

So please make the call
<http://act.freepress.net/call/call_congress_NN_cable_letter?t=3&akid=4752.1
0282589.RK1Ud3> . You know for sure the cable lobbyists are making theirs.

Onward,

Craig, Josh and the rest of the Free Press team
freepress.net
<http://act.freepress.net/go/15958?t=4&akid=4752.10282589.RK1Ud3>

P.S. We're aiming to raise $50,000 by May 15th to power our work to save the
Internet. A generous donor will match all funds raised if we meet our goal.
Please donate today
<https://act.freepress.net/donate/internet_15_15/?t=5&akid=4752.10282589.RK1
Ud3> . Thank you!

http://act.freepress.net/o.gif?akid=4752.10282589.RK1Ud3

The Free Press Action Fund is a nonpartisan organization building a
nationwide movement for media that serve the public interest. The Free Press
Action Fund does not support or oppose any candidate for public office.
Learn more at www.freepress.net
<http://www.freepress.net?akid=4752.10282589.RK1Ud3> .

Join us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/freepress>  and follow us on
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#!/freepress> .

You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.