[Ct-nfb] IPhone Community Service Announcement

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 02:26:21 UTC 2014

Hello to all you proud blind folks, and those of you that happen to not be
blind (blind impaired?),

I wanted to quickly share something with you that has affected me, with the
hope that it saves you from hassle.

I still have an IPhone 4S I purchased in 2012. I use it mostly non-visually
with the assistance of Voiceover (the onboard text-to-speech software). A
couple weeks ago I upgraded to the latest operating system IOS8, and this
has pretty much ruined my phone irreparably. The phone is now as slow as a
continent, and Voiceover is constantly rebooting, even when not in use. If
you have an IPhone of similar age, and you use a hefty tool like Voiceover,
I strongly recommend you thus do not upgrade the operating system. You
cannot downgrade. Better to keep the phone as is until you can buy a new
one.

Best,

Trevor A