[Ct-nfb] a new and interesting thread

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 21:33:27 UTC 2015

Hi, everyone:

Since the NFB, as yet, has no low-tech product listserv, here’s a question to consider. Currently, I’m making notes in my Braille music scores (plastic paper from APH, triple-spaced between lines of text—no Braille music notation) using a pencil stylus, through the back of the page. For instance, I signify “crescendo” by marking in an upward arrow above the word where the dynamic change begins to happen. I’ve done this for years, and it’s generally a satisfactory system, but I’m now trying to troubleshoot another angle (one of my “duh” moments: don’t know why it didn’t occur to be earlier). Since conductors performing the same piece might require different things, and I really don’t want to have to re-Braille the entire score or even part of it, given a choice—can anyone think of a semi-permanent marking system I can form the different-shaped tactile markings with, that would last through a season of work, not stick to the back of preceding pages, and not be terribly expensive? I want something I can keep on the pages for a long time, but which can be removed or changed as needed. I have ben participating in a yearly requiem sing with one group, to commemorate 9-11, and that director’s  requirements are somewhat different than those set by our director for our January Mystic River Chorale concert, for the Faure “Requiem”. Thanks!

Sandra
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)

---