[Ct-nfb] NFB Writing Contest for students & adults with visual impairments

Edward personal.edward at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:39:54 UTC 2015

My name is Donna W. Hill, and I am a blind novelist and journalist. You may
have seen articles about my novel The Heart of Applebutter Hill in
publications such as the Bookshare Blog, The Daisy Planet, Dialogue Magazine
and the Braille Monitor. I am writing to ask you to spread the word about
the 35th annual writing contests for students and adults with visual
impairments, sponsored by the NFB Writers' Division.

Whether people have been writing throughout their lives or are new to the
craft, writing brings a wonderful sense of accomplishment, enabling the
writer to share something unique with others. It can also be a therapeutic
exercise capable of enlightening, transforming and empowering the writer. It
is especially valuable for people struggling with the many issues
surrounding vision loss.  A writing exercise could be a great group
activity.

The 2015 contest, which has categories for fiction and poetry as well as
additional   adult categories for nonfiction and stories written for kids,
is open to all writers with visual impairments, be they novices or
professionals. Any topic or theme is fair game, though we are requesting
this year that the number 75 be included in some way in honor of the 75th
anniversary of the NFB.

Entries will be accepted through April 1, 2015. There is a $6 entry fee for
each adult entry. There is no fee for the youth contest, which promotes
Braille literacy.

Prizes for adult first through third place in each category are $100, $50
and $25. Youth prizes for first through third place in each category, given
for elementary, middle and upper school levels,  are $30, $20 and $10. All
winners will be announced at the NFB national convention in July and will be
eligible for inclusion in Slate and Style, the literary journal of the NFB
Writers' Division.

Additional contest details and submission guidelines for the Adult Contest:

http://writers.nfb.org/2015AdultGuidelines.html

Guidelines for the Youth contest:

http://writers.nfb.org/2015YouthGuidelines.html

Thank you for distributing this information. If I can be of any assistance,
please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Donna W. Hill

570-833-2708

dwhill at epix.net

http://DonnaWHill.com

-- The Heart of Applebutter Hill - a novel on a mission:

http://DonnaWHill.com <http://donnawhill.com/>