[Ct-nfb] use of Braille

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 21:27:23 UTC 2015

Interesting question—whether Braille reading figures into identity as a blind person... While I don’t espouse the idea that there is a “blind culture” similar to the abundantly-clear deaf culture, I would have to say, as a person who learned Braille young, I would be bereft without it—and am, when it isn’t available! Apparently, as I’ve read in several sources, the areas of the brain’s visual cortex usually earmarked for sight are transferred, in a blind person, to use of other senses that take over for sight—and I have become a highly-visual learner. Meaning, if you tell me something ten times, I finally get it; if you make me learn it by tactile reading, it may take 3-4 times. I’d guess, really, that my learning style is mixed—I have a highly visual structure, but because Braille involves hand and arm movement, I probably have some kinesthetic aspects (moving helps learning—the same reason that, when I’m hearing a lecture or sermon, I can retain details later if I’m working on a crochet piece, or taking notes on a slate, Brailler, notetaker or whatever). I am not sure what learning style I’d have developed if I hadn’t been trained in Braille—it might be one of those “chicken or egg” questions... I have gotten better at audio learning over the years, but anything that needs close attention: music, recipes, appliance manuals, poetry, devotional materials—absolutely must come in tactually, or it doesn’t stick!! I think another area where it does impact identity, for me, is in the fact that it contributes to my self-concept, and the conception in sighted hiring managers, that I am an able employee; I would not have had the many jobs I’ve had without Braille, and would not be nearly as capable without it.

Sandra
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)