[Ct-nfb] (no subject)

Gary Allen garyallenct at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 18:34:08 UTC 2016

0

For the disability community, tech is the great equalizer
Welcome to Tech Enabled, a new series chronicling the role tech plays in
providing new kinds of accessibility.

By Roger Cheng
Updated: November 1, 2016 9:43 AM PDT

When it comes to technology, we're often obsessed with the latest and
hottest gadget or app.
Here at CNET, where we breathlessly jump from writing about Apple's iPhone
7 one day to trying out Sony's PlayStation VR the next, we know all too
well what it's like running on that hamster wheel.
What gets lost at times: the less conventional innovation happening on the
periphery of the tech world. These are advances that may only help a small
number of people, but they're the kinds of breakthroughs that can change
lives.

"Technology is allowing people to do things and access things they could
have never imagined before," said accessibility consultant Kevin McGuire.
Stories from Tech Enabled
• A quadriplegic's challenge: Make me a touch-free phone
• Forget gaming: VR and AR can help restore sight
• How Apple and Facebook bring tech accessibility to the masses
• For kids with cognitive disabilities, tech means jobs ahead
• This Comcast exec turns accessible tech into something for all
That's where our new Tech Enabled series comes in. These stories highlight
and chronicle the role that tech plays in meeting the particular needs of
the disability community or ensuring that something many of us take for
granted -- such as simply using a phone -- is an option for everyone. The
goal is to bring attention to an area that too often gets ignored.
As October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month, what better
way to kick off Tech Enabled than with a series of stories looking at how
tech factors into how people find jobs and succeed at them?

For many people with disabilities, that's not always so easy. The national
unemployment rate for people with disabilities is 8.7 percent, or nearly
twice the rate of people without disabilities, according to the Department
of Labor. More worrisome, the percentage of those with disabilities
participating in the labor force is just 19.8 percent, compared with 68.7
percent for those without disabilities.

The Labor Department's Jennifer Sheehy has spent her career fighting for
more accessibility.
Kevin Kennedy
"The low number reflects people not even looking for jobs, which comes from
decades of not having access," said Jennifer Sheehy, the deputy assistant
secretary for the Labor Department's Office of Disability Employment Policy.
Sheehy, who suffered a spinal cord injury in 1994 and has spent her career
fighting for accessibility, has seen a "remarkable" increase in
participation from tech companies like Microsoft and Oracle.

Sometimes a gain could come from little things like making sure an online
job application site has a simple, straightforward design and employs
contrasting colors for people with visual impairments.
Web and app developers are starting to understand the value of ensuring
more people have access to job resources, according to Josh Christianson,
director of the Partnership on Employment and Accessible Technology.
Our first story features a startup using face-tracking technology to let
the physically impaired use a phone without their hands. Another looks at
the different perspective a blind worker brings to the development of a
product. The series will also tackle hot tech topics like virtual reality,
as well as a different kind of coding camp -- one that helps children with
autism develop skills that can later land them programming jobs.
Sponsored Content

Stay connected to homebound loved ones with smart devices
Sponsored by AT&T
You'll see a series of stories running over the next two weeks, but that
won't be the end of Tech Enabled. We will regularly update this section
with more features as new tech emerges.
There is, after all, a wide spectrum of areas in which tech can offer a
lending hand. CNET will be there to shed light on those innovations.