[Ct-nfb] Book club

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Mon Nov 21 21:30:46 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

I think a book club could be an asset to the affiliate if done with a focus on raising the expectations of blind people but also be a distraction if done without this focus. I’m skeptical about whether the people in the book club being Federationists is really enough to keep that focus. I want to offer some direction for the book club in order to make sure that it would belong as a program of the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut.

Here’s a quick quote from the Constitution of the National Federation of the Blind:
“Affiliates must not merely be social organizations but must formulate programs and actively work to promote the economic and social betterment of the blind. Affiliates and their local chapters must comply with the provisions of the constitution of the Federation.”

When applied to this book club, I would contend that this book club could be an awesome thing if it were done in a way relating to blindness and the empowerment of blind people. One way to do this could be to use literature authored by Federationists, such as Floyd Matson, Jim Omvig, Kenneth Jernigan, Marc Maurer, Ever Lee Hairston, etc. The group might touch on Braille Monitor articles, Future Reflections articles, banquet speeches, kernel books, Federation history books, or other published novels. The NFB of Utah library card would be a great resource to the book club, too. The books could involve examples of advanced philosophies about blindness or less-developed philosophies about blindness. The book club could get into some great discussions if led by the right people.

If the book club is purely done as a place for our members to bond with each other, that’s not completely bad; it would just be a missed opportunity to, as our constitution says, “actively work to promote the economic and social betterment of the blind.”

Happy Monday!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Opportunity Ambassador
National Federation of the Blind
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.”

William Butler Yeats