[Ct-nfb] [Ctabs] December Meeting of the Waterbury Area Chapter

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Mon Nov 21 21:42:16 UTC 2016

Hi Lucia,

Thanks for sending this out! I’m so glad to see that our Waterbury Chapter is already speaking out against the custodialism that yields audible crosswalk signals. If we didn’t have the Waterbury Chapter working on this, Waterbury could become as bad as Honolulu, with audible crosswalk signals almost everywhere. It really gets in the way of teaching my students how to cross streets safely. I’m working on a research article for the orientation and mobility profession on exactly why the implementation of audible crosswalk signals are bad for blind people. It’s too bad that I haven’t published it already because it could be great support for the Chapter’s argument.

Good luck, and please let me know how I can help!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Opportunity Ambassador
National Federation of the Blind
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.”

William Butler Yeats