[Ct-nfb] on the other hand--book club, additional thoughts

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 03:53:03 UTC 2016

I would be less inclined to join if the sole focus were books on blindness empowerment. As with my faith, I believe that we even need to apply NFB philosophy more intrinsically and further, to the point where, by reading, say, “Tom Sawyer,” we unobtrusively but definitely prove to the sighted public that we, as blind folks, are not in a “blind world,” that we relate to a boy palming off his whitewashing job to unsuspecting friends—that, blind or not, maybe we did the same mischief as kids... There’s a saying purported to be from St. Francis, that I love: “Preach the Gospel at all times; when necessary, use words.” Just something to chew on...

Sandra

Not “Revelation” – tis – that waits
But our unfurnished eyes –
(Emily Dickinson)