[Ct-nfb] [Ctabs] December Meeting of the Waterbury Area Chapter

Richard McGaffin rmcgaffin at snet.net
Fri Nov 25 12:19:53 UTC 2016

Good morning Justin, and all,
I must agree with Justin, although I know I've said it should be up to the individual on whatever device or tool they use to cross the street, and I still feel that way, however there is a fine line here we need to remember, and we should never dismiss the proper training, and if at all possible it's a good idea to seek out our mobility trainer in CT and take a lesson or two.

As I've repeatedly told you folks, I was taught how to cross a busy intersection over 30 years ago, this method still works for me. I've also had a small taste of proper cane travel, and have developed my own style, and again it works for me. However one thing I will admit I may have been wrong about and that I do wish to correct, is this Justin has gone to school to become a mobility instructor, and although we may not agree with his methods of getting his point across (please don't take offense Justin) He is the teacher, and he should know his own business.

I myself believe in the trial and error way of learning, for example I've been cutting branches, and trees down for over 30 years off and on. It only took one time for my carelessness to allow me to cut my left index finger, I was fortunate, although I required 3 or 4 stitches, I didn't do any damage to my finger. This of course was the only time something like that happened, but the point I'm trying to make here is this. We can't rely on one way to cross the street, and yes I still say if you're okay with it use the audible signaling, but I also encourage all of you to reach out to your mobility instructor's and take a lesson or two, it could an may likely save your life.

Well that's my input for today, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and I hope all goes well for you all.
Rich
P.S. if I seem to be rambling on more than usual, I just changed the vice tablet in my Father in laws humidifier, perhaps I caught a slight buzz