[Ct-nfb] The National Federation of the Blind Reflects on Another Successful Year of Advocacy for the Blind

Jim McCollum j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 29 15:36:47 UTC 2016

https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/national-federation-blind-reflects-another-successful-year-advocacy-blind

The National Federation of the Blind Reflects on Another Successful Year of Advocacy for the Blind | National Federation of the Blind
Monday, November 28, 2016
by: Patti Chang, Director of Outreach

This year we have worked hard to defend the rights of blind people across the country to ensure we can live the active, successful lives we want. The National Federation of the Blind has much to be thankful about in 2016:

The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act Regulations which were issued recently promise to keep us all mobile by requiring electric vehicles to emit a constant sound. Without these regulations, pedestrian travel would be less safe for us and would discourage many from getting out and traveling independently.
We continue to help students become more employable and successful in life by teaching Braille in our NFB BELL Academies. The high correlation between employment and reading Braille is real. The gift of literacy and a love of reading are immeasurable.
Litigation enforcing the laws requiring equal access for guide dog users and accessibility of electronic educational materials yields results we can all appreciate. Aleeha Dudley and thousands of others can pursue their dreams because the Federation pursues violators.
KNFB Reader provides unprecedented access to print, and now it is available to even more people around the world. Whether you use Android, iOS, or a HumanWare note taker, your reader can be in your pocket.
The National Federation of the Blind remains vigilant against those who would exploit stereotypes of blindness, even when their underlying intentions may be good. We stopped the Foundation Fighting Blindness from exploiting the idea that blindness is scary just to generate dollars for their organization.
We make kids happy by acting as Santa’s elves in our Letters to Santa initiative. Kids can read their own letters in their own reading medium and feel like Santa has written to them in Braille. Joey can write to Santa in Braille and doesn’t even need to share what he wants for Christmas. How awesome is that?
If the Federation makes a difference in your life, please tell us how, and make a contribution. There are lots of ways you can give and pay it forward with your personal testimonial.

You can mail your story and a check made out to the National Federation of the Blind, Attention: Outreach, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230.
You can participate in #GivingTuesday by sharing your story in our comment box on this blog page and by donating online by visiting nfb.org/donate2016.
You can tell us how the Federation helped you and join our Legacy Society by including the NFB as a beneficiary in your will or on a life insurance policy. Please mail your story and a commitment letter from our planned giving page, nfb.org/planned-giving, to National Federation of the Blind, Attention: Outreach, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230.
Thank you for sharing and improving the lives of blind children and adults across the country. We need to continue our work, and we can’t do it without your support.

Jim McCollum
Legislative Co-ordinator
j.mccollum64 at comcast.net