[Ct-nfb] Blind Americans Equality Day in the State of Connecticut - October 15, 2016

Edward Shaham personal.edward at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:49:12 UTC 2016

For Immediate Release -

Governor Malloy:

October 15th is Blind Americans Equality Day in Connecticut

Governor Dannel Malloy has officially declared Saturday, October 15th, 2016,
to be "Blind Americans Equality Day".  Beginning in 1964, October 15th has
been recognized as White Cane Safety Day, a day to increase society's
awareness of the challenges of blindness.  In recent years, the day has
become known as "Blind Americans Equality Day".  "We as a state are
committed to the independence and equality of our many friends and neighbors
who are blind," Governor Malloy said.  "We urge all Connecticut residents to
renew their commitment to full opportunity and inclusion for people with
blindness"

"I join the Governor in celebrating the achievements of the many thousands
of Connecticut's citizens with blindness," Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman said
today.  "Their success serves as a testament to their energy and their
ambition to overcome obstacles and adversity," added the Lt. Governor.

The proclamation reads, in part, "Connecticut's citizens who are blind or
visually impaired contribute much to our state," and points out that
"Connecticut law further encourages employers, in both the public and
private sectors, to explore and utilize the skills and potential of
Connecticut's citizens who are blind, to recognize their capabilities and to
respect their worth as individuals."

"In addition to employers, I encourage all of Connecticut's people to renew
their commitment to full opportunity and inclusion for people with
blindness," Malloy said.  "And consistent with the purpose of the original
White Cane Safety Day, I remind all citizens to redouble their awareness of
and attention to the safety of people with blindness travelling on our
sidewalks and streets every day," the Governor added.

"I want to congratulate Governor Malloy for his ongoing recognition of the
challenges faced by people with blindness," said Amy Porter, Commissioner of
the Department of Rehabilitation Services which houses the Bureau of
Education and Services for the Blind.  "I also want to commend his resolve
to help all people, including people who are blind, achieve independence and
success," she added.

Contact:

Andrew Norton

Legislative Liaison

Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)

(860) 602-4078

State of Connecticut

By His Excellency Dannel P. Malloy, Governor:

An Official Statement

WHEREAS, Connecticut's citizens who are blind or visually impaired
contribute much to our state; and

WHEREAS, white canes and guide dogs have come to symbolize equal rights and
equal access for persons with blindness; and

WHEREAS, they are also reminders of the many achievements and tremendous
potential of persons who are blind and of their willingness to live
independently and compete in the marketplace; and

WHEREAS, Connecticut state law secures the right of persons with blindness
to carry and use a white cane or be accompanied by a guide dog along our
streets and thoroughfares, in residential settings, on public
transportation, in public accommodations and in the workplace; and

WHEREAS, our law also requires that motorists exercise appropriate caution
when approaching someone using a white cane or guide dog; and

WHEREAS, October 15th has been known as White Cane Safety Day across the
United States since it was declared by Congress and the President in 1964;
and

WHEREAS, the State of Connecticut encourages all its citizens to join in the
effort to keep our streets and roadways safe for all pedestrians who are
blind; and

WHEREAS, Connecticut law further encourages employers, in both the public
and private sector, to explore and utilize the skills and potential of
Connecticut's citizens who are blind, to recognize their capabilities and to
respect their worth as individuals; now

THEREFORE, to celebrate and honor the past achievements and future potential
of all of Connecticut's citizens with blindness, I, Dannel P. Malloy,
Governor of the State of Connecticut, do hereby proclaim October 15, 2016 as

Blind americans Equality day

in the State of Connecticut.

Signed: Dannel P. Malloy

Governor