[Ct-nfb] Shooting Selfie Videos | National Federation of the Blind

Jim McCollum j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 20:36:03 UTC 2016

Hello, all.
If any of you would like to make a video for our reaction to #HowEyeSeeIt, but are finding it challenging, I thought I'd share this. Speaking for myself, I've had inconsistent luck making selfies.
I'm planning to give it a try, though.
Everybody have a great evening.

https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/shooting-selfie-videos

Shooting Selfie Videos | National Federation of the Blind
Monday, September 26, 2016
From the Editor:

As we continue to push back on the #HowEyeSeeIt campaign, it's important for us to make videos of ourselves doing everyday tasks and living the lives we want. In this post, Stephanie Eller, our Coordinator of Strategic Partnerships shares tips on how to take selfie videos.

Shooting Selfie Videos

By Stephanie Eller

To start, it's important to know some terminology. A "selfie" is a self-portrait typically taken while holding a smartphone. Most smartphones have two cameras: a front camera and back camera. The front camera is the one located just above the screen, next to the speaker. The back camera is typically in the top left corner on the back of the phone. Selfies are most easily taken while using the front camera.

Here are some tips for shooting a great selfie video:

Always be sure your phone is in landscape mode when shooting video, selfie or otherwise.

Make sure there's not so much background noise that you can't be heard. If you have headphones with a microphone, like those that come with iPhones, you can use those to help cut down on ambient noise.

Lighting is important. Make sure, if you're shooting indoors and aren't near a window or it's after sundown, that you turn on some lights.

If you're going to take a selfie video while holding the phone, line up the middle of the phone with your nose, extend your arm straight out from that point, and hold steady. This will ensure your entire beautiful face is in the shot. For the best results, make sure your arm is fully extended.

To create an improvised tripod, take a binder clip - yes, the office supply - and clip it to one side of the phone. Make sure the arms of the clip are up against the screen and back of the phone, then place the side of the phone with the binder clip onto a flat surface. This will allow you to film yourself and free up your hands.

Remember, these principles apply to taking photographs too! Now you've got all you need to be able to go out and take some fantastic photos and videos to show the world how you live the life you want. When posting on social media, don't forget to tag the NFB and use the hashtag #HowEyeSeeIt (using the word "eye" rather than the letter "I"). We can't wait to see the great ways in which you're raising the expectations of blind people every day.

Jim McCollum
Legislative Co-ordinator
j.mccollum64 at comcast.net