[Ct-nfb] American Foundation for the Blind Applauds Bipartisan Action to Transform Special Education for Students with Sensory Disabilities - American Foundation for the Blind

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Tue Feb 28 06:19:52 UTC 2017

HI everybody,

I remember this bill coming up in the past, so I want to just offer some things I learned about it last time.

As we might all have noticed, the National Federation of the Blind is not actively supporting the Alice Cogswell and Anne Sullivan Macy Act. This legislation is quite broad, and in some instances, rather than strengthening statutory support for critical skills of blindness, such as Braille instruction, it weakens them by including a host of alternatives under the Braille presumption.

As soon as I saw the names “AFB” and “AER” as supporters, especially AER, I knew this bill was bad news for blind people.

This is why I love having such a strong and vibrant governmental affairs team in Baltimore to keep watch over all of these things for us. Generally speaking, if I don’t hear about it from Federation leadership first, I am very careful with a bill.

Aloha,

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Pre-Authorized Contribution Plan Coordinator
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.”

William Butler Yeats

http://www.afb.org/info/about-us/press-room/press-release-archive/cogswell-macy-act-hr-1120-introduced-in-the-house/1245