[Ct-nfb] Question

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Sep 28 03:40:35 UTC 2017

Hi Deb,

I'm glad to hear that you are exploring the possibilities enabled by nonvisual techniques. These will generally be more dependable once you practice them. Anything you learn nonvisually is still useful while you have some residual vision, and the research and collective experience of Blind people indicate that sleepshade training can get you the best results.

I think, if you want to narrow down what kinds of things you want to focus on after looking at general things like cane travel and Braille, it might be best to start with the areas where you are finding yourself struggling. It's hard for many of us to just churn out a list of things to learn, but if you give us certain activities that matter to you, we could probably help even more.

Aloha!

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.”

William Butler Yeats