[Ct-nfb] FW: Holman Prize for Blind Ambition 2019

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Wed Feb 13 15:58:04 UTC 2019

From: Sigman, Brian [mailto:Brian.Sigman at ct.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:16 AM
To: DORS-DL BESB <DORS-DLBESB at ct.gov>
Subject: FW: Holman Prize for Blind Ambition 2019

From: Erin Horne [mailto:EHorne at lighthouse-sf.org]
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 5:13 PM
To: Sigman, Brian
Subject: Holman Prize for Blind Ambition 2019

Hi Brian,

Greetings from LightHouse for the Blind in San Francisco! I hope this finds you well!

I'm writing to let you know that the LightHouse’s annual $25,000 prize for ambitious blind people, <http://holman.lighthouse-sf.org/apply/>  the Holman Prize, is accepting applications  starting today at 5 p.m.

The Holman Prize provides financial backing for three blind individuals pursuing a project of their own design over the course of a year. These proposals may involve travel, community organizing, athletics, creating art and more. Since we launched the prize in 2017, we’ve funded six winners with diverse projects that span from <http://lighthouse-sf.org/2018/08/14/an-untapped-market-how-ojok-simon-is-training-the-next-generation-of-ugandan-beekeepers/>  African beekeeping and <http://lighthouse-sf.org/2018/07/10/meet-stacy-cervenka-creating-an-online-community-for-blind-travelers-with-the-holman-prize/>  blind world travel resources to physical feats like <http://lighthouse-sf.org/2018/08/01/to-get-to-the-other-side-the-blind-captain-makes-his-mark/>  kayaking and <http://lighthouse-sf.org/2018/07/10/meet-red-szell-braving-scotlands-most-extreme-triathlon-with-the-holman-prize/>  extreme triathlons.

The process begins with a challenge: blind applicants must submit a first-round pitch, in the form of a 90-second YouTube video. It’s not as daunting as it might sound — more information about the application process can be found on the <https://www.holmanprize.org/>  Holman Prize website​.

I’m writing to ask you to share the news of this prize with your communities and encourage people in your network to apply. You can help spread the news by forwarding this email, <https://www.facebook.com/holmanprize/videos/219094369028224/>  sharing this video about our 2018 prizewinners or inviting your friends and colleagues to like the <https://www.facebook.com/holmanprize/>  Holman Prize Facebook page.

Please note that submissions for the 2019 Holman Prize close February 28th, 2019 at 12 Noon Pacific Standard Time. We’re encouraging any and all eligible blind adults worldwide to apply, even if they’ve applied previously.

Thanks again for your time, and please feel free to reach out to me or other members of the Holman Team with any questions you may have!

Best,

Erin Horne

Calendar Editor

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired

1155 Market St. 10th Floor

San Francisco, CA  94103

Follow us:  <https://www.facebook.com/lighthousesf/> Facebook  <https://twitter.com/lighthouse_sf> Twitter  <https://www.youtube.com/user/LFTBSF> YouTube  <https://www.instagram.com/lighthouseblind/> Instagram

We’re hiring! Join the LightHouse team <http://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/> .