[Ct-nfb] 2019 Legislative Agenda | National Federation of the Blind

Jim McCollum j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 13 02:49:25 UTC 2019

https://nfb.org/2019-legislative-agenda

2019 Legislative Agenda
Legislative Agenda of Blind Americans:
PRIORITIES FOR THE 116TH CONGRESS, FIRST SESSION

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives we want.

The Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA)

The cost of critically needed access technology is out of reach for most blind Americans. By providing a refundable tax credit for qualifying purchases, Congress will stimulate individual procurement of this technology and promote affordability of these tools.

Read the 2019 ATAA fact sheet.

Greater Accessibility and Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology (GAIN) Act

Advanced digital interfaces create barriers that prevent blind individuals from independently operating essential devices that enhance quality of life. Congress must end the digital divide that threatens the independence of blind Americans by developing minimum accessibility requirements for such devices.

Read the 2019 GAIN fact sheet.

The Disability Employment Act (DEA)

An outdated approach to employment fails to adequately equip workers with disabilities for the challenges of the twenty-first century. The Disability Employment Act will spur innovation that will increase and enhance modern employment opportunities for people with disabilities.

Read the 2019 DEA fact sheet.

These priorities will remove obstacles to education, employment, and independent living. We urge Congress to support our legislative initiatives.

Jim Y. McCollum
j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
860-581-0430 (mobile)
203-535-1620 (home)