[CT-NFB] Quote

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Sat Aug 22 17:10:05 UTC 2020

HI Deb,

It's true! A lot of times, this also applies to our efforts to advocate for ourselves. We can have all the intellectual points and counter-points, but if they don't believe in us, those low expectations pull the drain plug on everything we said.

It's also true with organizing. If people are told "you're welcome here" and "we hear what you are saying," but then they act like they really don't care what you're saying, it doesn't make you want to come back. Those kinds of personal relations are so important.

A lot of people in the Federation right now are in the process of making fun of a nonprofit that claims to empower and serve the blind, but then they fill up their social media with disability inspiration porn. It really shows that they don't believe the words that they say about blind people, independence, equality, etc. What really motivates people is what they feel.

Stay well,

Justin

Justin Mark Hideaki Salisbury
he/him/his

Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Justin_Salisbury

“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore.”

Cesar Chavez