[CT-NFB] Helpful Advice from National on Sexual Misconduct and Abuse

mvcmelley at gmail.com mvcmelley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 15:18:45 UTC 2020

Dear Federation Family,

Below and attached is information from the national office on how to help
respond to any questions you may get from the public on the sexual
misconduct and abuse at our NFB training centers. There are also links to
the training centers themselves. Please do not answer any questions for the
media without consulting Chris Danielson first, his email is listed in the
correspondence.

Best Regards,

Maryanne Melley

President

mvcmelley at gmail.com

"Live the Life You Want"

Nationals Advice on Sexual Misconduct and Abuse

Here are the notes regarding communications if you are asked for information
or if you are wondering what to say about the current situation regarding
sexual misconduct and abuse. To start, we understand that this is a
difficult and often uncomfortable topic to discuss. Please be respectful and
compassionate with anyone in our community:

Survivors: We support survivors who experienced any form of abuse and stand
with them. While this is a difficult topic, it's important to show
compassion. Please know there is no need to debate specific circumstances.

Commitment: We all take this extremely seriously. The National Federation of
the Blind does not condone or excuse any form of abuse, and we are committed
to learning and creating change. Feel free to refer people to the open
letter of apology which is listed on our home page at nfb.org.

Stronger Together: We want to understand how to engage in conversations with
survivors and utilize experts from outside organizations as well as the
other steps addressed in the open letter of apology. Finally, we should
acknowledge our support of the leadership of President Riccobono and the
board of directors during this time - if that's your stance and you're
comfortable doing so.

We will share more information and communication suggestions as we move
forward.

As an update, our centers have published statements of their own regarding
current issues around abuse. Below are the links to the three statements:

*
<https://www.blindinc.org/statement-of-acknowledgement-and-commitment-to-cha
nge/> BLIND Inc Statement
*
<https://cocenter.org/our-statement-endorsing-the-open-letter-of-apology-fro
m-mark-riccobono/> Colorado Center for the Blind Statement
*	 <http://www.louisianacenter.org/commitment-to-change> Louisiana
Center for the Blind Statement

If anyone receives media inquiries regarding any of the statements or these
matters, please connect with Chris Danielsen at cdanielsen at nfb.org
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> .