[CT-NFB] Please Call

mvcmelley at gmail.com mvcmelley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 14:33:51 UTC 2020

Did you call the Governor yesterday? If not please call today.
860-566-4840. Also Nathanael was able to speak with his local Senator
yesterday. He recommended that we focus our efforts on the Assembly. There
is a possibility that an amendment could be added that would include
requirements for electronic ballot marking that we want. This vote is going
to happen on Thursday. It is imperative that you call your assembly
representatives TOMMORROW, Thursday July 23rd to encourage an addendum. Here
is a script of language you can use.

Hello, my name is (name), and I live at (home address). I am calling to
express my concern as a blind voter that I do not have an accessible way to
privately and independently mark my absentee ballot. This is a particular
concern to me during the COVID-19 pandemic as I do not want to risk exposing
myself to the coronavirus by going to my local polling place, and I do not
want to give up my right to a secret ballot by having someone mark my ballot
for me. There are a number of accessible electronic ballot delivery systems
available that will enable me to mark my ballot privately and independently
at (home, work, library) using a computer and access technology. With an
accessible electronic ballot delivery system, the state will be providing me
with an opportunity to vote privately and independently that is equal to the
opportunity provided to voters without disabilities, as required by Title II
of the Americans with Disabilities Act. You have time today to add language
into the bill regarding this accessibility for absentee voting, and I can
provide you with language passed by a state legislature in another state
(Colorado) worked on by the National Federation of the Blind.

I would be happy to meet with you to discuss this issue. I may be contacted
by phone at (phone number) or by email at (email address). Thank you very
much, and I look forward to hearing from you.

This so very important to all of us. As president Riccobono would say, Let's
go build the National Federation of the Blind!!

Best Regards,

Maryanne Melley

President

"Live the Life You Want"