[CT-NFB] Alexander IDEA Waiver

JIM MCCOLLUM j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 15:14:42 UTC 2020

Hello, all. I hope everybody is doing well. I know things are crazy right now.
I'm sure you all received the e-mail from the national office yesterday afternoon regarding the Alexander IDEA Waiver. If this is included in the emergency stimulus package that the senate will soon be voting on, states and school districts would have the right to request that their responsibilities to disabled students, under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, be waived. Obviously, this would not be good. I have called and e-mailed the offices of Senators Blumenthal and Murphy, and urged that they oppose this proposal. I strongly urge all of you to do the same. Legislators are concerned about the effect of COVID-19 on the economy and on peoples' lives, and rightly so. I'm afraid that, with all that is happening, Senator Alexander's waiver provision could fly under the radar, and be passed. We cannot allow this to happen. The number for the Capitol Switchboard is 202-224-3121. You can also reach our senators through their websites, which are blumenthal.senate.gov and murphy.senate.gov.
Everybody be safe and well.

Jim McCollum
860-581-0430
j.mccollum64 at comcast.net mailto:j.mccollum64 at comcast.net