[CT-NFB] A Message of Apology

maryanne.melley at gmail.com maryanne.melley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 18:11:42 UTC 2021

Code of Conduct Within Our Affiliate

I would like to say a few words regarding sexual misconduct in our
affiliate. There have been incidents within our affiliate and the victims
have never spoken about their experiences or have only talked to a few close
friends. There has been one case where a code of conduct violation was
filed. In that case I failed the individual because they felt they could not
come to me with what happened to them. I never want any member to feel they
cannot come to me with any complaint against another member they are
uncomfortable with. It does not matter if the person is my best friend, an
acquaintance or someone I barely know. I have also advised other members not
to file code of conduct grievances against someone (not of a sexual
misconduct kind) in hopes that the problem could be worked out within the
affiliate. I was wrong to do this and apologize for interfering in people's
personal decisions. What is important is that any affiliate member feel they
can come to me if they have been harassed by anyone. My role is to support
affiliate members and not make decisions for them. I am no more important
than any one of you, I am elected to serve you and make the best decision
with the rest of the board that will benefit all members. Our conversations
are confidential. I will help anyone fill out the code of conduct grievance
form that needs help doing so.

Maryanne Melley

President