[CT-NFB] Let's Talk Philosophy: Self-Sufficiency and BIPOC

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Sun Mar 28 19:09:13 UTC 2021

Justin,

Thank you for starting what could be an important and interesting
discussion.  And thankyou for doing it in such a way that brings all of our
members together, those from all backgrounds and world views in a way that
discusses, analyzes, but does not judge.  I'll add, though I know I'm late
in replying about them, that your articles in the Federationist in
Connecticut were well thought out and taught me.

I believe this sort of reasoning should be condemned in the strongest terms.
Though I myself haven't heard it in any number of types of Federation
settings and locations, I know that as a white man and professed Christian
that I may very well have privilege protecting me from having heard it.
Members and leaders from all racial and ethnic backgrounds are needed and an
integral part of our Federation.  We should never express our philosophical
value and call for blind people being self-sufficient to ignore other
characteristics of our members that may very well make that call harder or
impossible to answer.

The work we do for blind people, be it on accessibility, civil rights, and
economics (let's be honest: the Accessible Technology Affordability Act,
especially in that it's a refundable credit, is as close to a direct benefit
to blind people as the multiple COVID stimulus checks are-and rightly means
tested to the point that I as a professional working for the government
would not myself qualify) are a benefit to blind people of all colors and
ethnic backgrounds and, often, immigration status (hmmmmm.do you consider me
a descendant of immigrants?  I remember after September 11 having heard of
an indigenous T-shirt reading "Homeland Security: Fighting Illegal
Immigration Since 1492).  We know blindness and consider carefully what we
as the organized blind ask for, and we expect to be respected for that.
Likewise, as an overall organization we should not, I think, claim to know
racial or ethnic injustice and its solutions, but we should respect those
who do, including our members and many leaders at the intersection of both
blindness and race and ethnicity.  And respect those who do by learning from
them.  We have a special opportunity in the Federation to meet people from
backgrounds we well may not have met had we not been blind and had the good
sense to join the Federation.

Best,

Nathanael