[CT-NFB] Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act

maryanne.melley at gmail.com maryanne.melley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 15:32:30 UTC 2021

Dear Federation Family,

After twenty years this Act is finally being fulfilled. I remember working
on this with Beth Rival, Betty and Bruce Woodward, Joyce Kane, and many
others from the beginning. It is very satisfying to see the law finally come
to fruition. This is why we go to Washington Seminar. It may take years for
the Acts we introduce to become law, but in the end it is worth it.

Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act Takes Effect After Twenty Years of Effort

Blind pedestrians travel safely every day relying on sound cues. When
electric and hybrid cars first emerged, the National Federation of the Blind
recognized that truly quiet vehicles posed a danger to all pedestrians and
bike riders, and that the lack of sound posed a special danger to blind
people. Twenty years ago we began work on the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement
Act which was signed into law by President Obama. The law gave manufacturers
time to comply and regulations were promulgated with input from
stakeholders. Finally, all hybrid and electric vehicles manufactured on or
after March 1, 2021 must emit a safe level of sound while stationary, in
reverse, and moving up to thirty kilometers per hour thanks to the
collective efforts of the National Federation of the Blind.

Best Regards,

Maryanne Melley

President

maryanne.melley at gmail.com

"Live the Life You Want; Blindness is Not What Holds You Back"