[CT-NFB] FW: BESB Director Position

ntwales ntwales at omsoft.com
Fri Jul 22 15:38:15 UTC 2022

Jim,

This is a good observation and a very fair question. Looking further at
the position advertisement, it does seem like the state government is
actually trying to find a good leader. Everything in the description
also seems to fit what the previous “director” did. I think—I certainly
hope—that the term “rehabilitation manager” is a bureaucratic
classification only; for example, the term “educational consultant” is
used to classify what most of the rest of the blindness world would call
a TVI (or what we in NFB prefer to call a TBS: teacher of blind
students).

I think that the new director, or “manager” as the HR people would call
her or him, will have the ability to do what we’d want her or him to do.
And if there are problems, we can advocate. Especially if the new
manager/director is a person whose professionalism and approach to
blindness is one we like.

Let’s get the word out, try to get the very best we can, and be prepared
to advocate if the bureaucracy or commissioner-level leadership pushes
back on positive changes that are trying to be made.

Respectfully,
Nathanael