[CT-NFB] Who Is the Perkins School for the Blind Named After?

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Thu Jun 29 02:10:13 UTC 2023

Justin,

Here are a couple of thoughts on this complex matter.

First, I agree that Perkins’ statement omitting indigenous peoples should be addressed. It is straightforward to fix. You yourself, or other indigenous Federation members (especially in New England), are most appropriate to lead this advocacy effort which you have already started.

Renaming the school is much less straightforward. I have no attachment to Perkins, and I appreciate that Thomas Perkins himself led little in the education or advancement of the blind. But then must we then rename things associated with the Perkins School? For example, the Perkins Braillewriter? This would require a significant and broad effort, and the effort should be calculated carefully. I am inclined towards renaming the school, especially because there is little relevant nexus between Thomas Perkins and the blind. And I, too, am interested and open to what our colleagues have to say. What is most important to me is that blind people of every background have equal access to empowerment and the resources to get it.

Best,

Nathanael