[CT-NFB] flights from New Haven $35

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Tue Oct 31 00:54:22 UTC 2023

All,

Here are a couple of my thoughts on the airline service out of Tweed.

Tweed has a proper license from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The license in question is more of a business license, and it seems like the fight over it is politically driven, not safety-related.

The larger concern of those using these flights may be that these fares are unbundled: if you must check a bag, you may end up paying $35 for just that on top of your ticket, so perhaps double. The airline may even charge something for a carryon, too. When comparing, remember that if you check one bag on Southwest Airlines out of Bradley, that bag is free (actually two are free). And like Southwest Airlines, the service from Tweed goes to the farther away Baltimore-Washington International airport (BWI), which will require higher ground transportation costs and travel time than flying into Reagan National (DCA), such as on American Airlines. Finally, unlike most options out of Bradley, the flights out of Tweed only operate two or three times per week as opposed to two or three times per day 7 days per week. You will need to plan to be very flexible with your travel dates. Don’t be late to the Great Gathering In!

That said, Jim Cronin and Allyson used this service earlier this year, and they made it in on time and back safe, so it is an option but those using it should carefully consider the pros and cons and do their comparison homework. This is something that I know Joyce does when she makes other travel arrangements for family, so I recommend that we heed her example.

I look forward to seeing everyone this weekend and catching up on so many things!

Nathanael