[Diabetes-talk] Getting Your Doctor To Get Prodigy VoiceSoftware; was - ...

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Wed Aug 26 21:10:00 UTC 2009

Cheryl:

Like Joyce said, and I agree with, both the software & the cable should come
with the meter as a package so people don't have to go chasing it down after
buying the meter.  As for downloading it is often a struggle to get normal
refill prescriptions or other types of forms to be filled in by various
doctors.  My doctor is a good doctor and I am over all happy with him, but
like many doctors dealing with his staff can be painful at times.  I think
this is common place among busy practices and I can tell you right now it
will be an issue asking someone in their office to download software for my
Prodigy.  The software should be provided with the meter at point of
purchase. The software could then be used by the patient and the doctor if
necessary.  I'm not getting into any type of confrontation over this with
either my doctor or people in his staff, nor should I have to.

The problem is that all these companies who make glucose meters want their
software & their cable to be proprietary so we have to buy exactly what they
offer us.  I do recall reading something about the newer prodigy meter using
a standard USB cable, but it and the necessary software should come with the
meter as a package when purchased.  Just about every little electronic
device I've bought over the last few years from a minidisk recorder to the
reader stream, cell phone, etc (accessible or not accessible), comes with a
little mini USB cable and if needed software for the device.