[Diabetes-talk] New Member Introduction

Robert Shelton rshelton1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 21:55:37 UTC 2009

Thanks.  This is definitely something I need to figure out.  We've been
really lucky so far, but I know that I can take responsibility and handle
this.  Linda is quite protective (for lack of a better word) in wanting to
manage her condition independently.  We have always divided our
responsibilities that way.  I've made the pay checks and she's managed the
house, kids, and everything else.  Now we are coming to the time when I need
to step up.

K C suggested I share what I know about how Linda manages her sugar, and
also where I am in my own knowledge and skills.  Fair enough.

Linda is insulin dependent and insulin resistant which means she needs to
take a lot -- something north of 60 units per day.  Most of this is Lantus
taken at night, the remainder Humalog taken during the day to correct.  She
tests several times a day and has gotten fairly good at detecting ups and
downs -- at least she can tell when it's time to test.  I don't know the
brand of her glucometer, but I can use it to test her sugar; of course, I
can't read it.  We're getting the PV -- I suspect that I'll get to practice
using it on myself, not a problem.

All of Linda's serious low incidents have happened at night.  As I said, she
can head them off fine if she's awake.  I seem to know when she's going low.
I've awakened to Linda being in a cold sweat, and got her up and righted.
Friday night was just a whole lot worse, maybe because I didn't wake up in
time to catch her while she could still help me.   Once she goes past a
certain point, she's completely incapable of helping me at all, but
fortunately, she can swallow liquids.  I've always had emergency juice
stashed away, but for some reason, it wasn't there Friday night.  I looked
high and low, but the best I could do was some chocolate which doesn't have
much sugar.  I'm not sure she would have been able to drink anything under
these circumstances anyway.

The paramedics had squeeze tubes of glucose concentrate, and that worked
great.  I've already ordered a supply from our mail order pharmacy.  I think
getting comfortable using the meter, and having a proven, certain emergency
sugar source, will go a long ways toward solving our problems.

Poor baby, when she goes low, she's pretty obstinate.  Even when she catches
it herself, it's like she goes into slow motion.  Like I said, I just have
to step up and take responsibility while respecting her wishes to be
independent.  Not sure I'm making the best of sense here, and not sure I
really provided the right information.

Thanks,

--Robert

"A strong nation, like a strong person, can afford to be gentle, firm,
thoughtful, and restrained. It can afford to extend a helping hand to
others. It is a weak nation, like a weak person, that must behave with
bluster and boasting and rashness and other signs of insecurity."
--Jimmy Carter