[Diabetes-talk] What can we do?

David Anspach danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 02:34:24 UTC 2009

Hi Debbie,
My experience with the Voice has been just the opposite.  I was surprised to
find that the Joslin center here in our area in Florida had copies of the
Voice. They were very pleased with the publication and at the time, made
sure that anyone  who was newly diagnosed, or, was needing any info
regarding diabetes took a look at the Voice.

So, I have to disagree with you in regard to the medical profession not
wanting to have anything to do with something that won't make them a few
extra dollars. I'm still amazed at how bitter you seem to be towards the
medical profession as a whole. I know you have told us all why you feel as
you do, but I have forgotten the exact reasons why.

I have found several wonderful doctors here in Largo and have been very
happy with their level of care.  They are in no way out to just make a buck.
Instead, they show compassion and truly care about their patients. The folks
that I have worked with at Minimed, the maker of my insulin pump, are much
the same. Sure they are always discussing the new capabilities of the pump,
but they take the time to listen to my concerns and are not out just for the
all mighty dollar. In fact, they will be meeting with me at my next doctor's
appointment to help me determine if I need to change basal rates and so
forth to get my A1C back to the level it was before I ended up in the
hospital.

I just don't think it's fair to lump all people in the medical profession
into one category simply based on your experiences with a few unscrupulous
companies or doctors. I think there are far more people in the field that
are truly concerned with the health of their patients instead of being out
there just to make as much money as possible. For example, I think Anne
Williams, who posts to this list on a regular basis, is a shining example of
what I'm trying to say about the good people in the medical field. She truly
cares about the patients she sees and it shows by the message she posts here
on this list and in the articles she has written for the Voice.

I know I won't be able to sway your opinion, but I always try to keep in
mind that a positive attitude goes a long way in managing your diabetes.  It
has worked for me over the years and has kept me out of the hospital and
helped me manage my diabetes successfully and I won't trade a positive
attitude, or view of the medical profession as a whole as being made up of
good people, for anything. .

Thanks for reading my rather lengthy post,

Dave