[Diabetes-talk] pumps

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Mar 5 17:21:48 UTC 2009

Dar:

I don't know what your insurance carrier requires but from the standpoint of medicine, the pump works equally well for people with Type 1 and people with Type 2 although the latter aren't prescribed the pump all that often since most Type 2's still make some of their own insulin. To read a blog from a Type 2 that does use the pump, go to http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com and read the blog of Jan Chate; she's a Type 2 that uses a pump but don't think her pancreas makes much insulin anymore.

As a practical matter, however, if you aren't interested in using rapid-acting insulin and carb-counting, you wouldn't want to use the pump since, as with intensive management using rapid-acting and basal insulin, you must count your carbs and adjust your insulin dose accordingly.

Mike Freeman