[Diabetes-talk] Prodigy Voice Accessible User Guides

David Anspach danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Mar 14 03:29:09 UTC 2009

Hi John,
Thanks for letting us all know that the links will remain active. Thank you
also for all of your efforts in ensuring the manual is in an accessible
format as this really helps us all. You asked about Braille, so, I'll give
you my perspective. Braille can often become expensive to produce especially
considering that there are only a low number of people who would request it
in that format. It is unfortunate, but in the United States, we, a s a
whole, are simply not Braille readers. This is why the NFB is trying so hard
to get more blind Americans to learn how to read Braille as it is an
invaluable tool and one that really makes anyone who is blind "literate." Of
course, this is just one opinion.

If I had to make the decision about producing a Braille manual, I would opt
for an electronic Braille version. This would give anyone with a device that
has a Braille display  the ability of viewing the manual using that display.
If someone owns a Braille embosser, then they could emboss their own version
as well. I'm sure there are drawbacks to an electronic Braille version and
perhaps someone else who knows more about BRF files can chime in here and
let us know.

In the end, the cheapest and probably the quickest way to provide an
accessible manual is through the use of html. All screen readers can access
well written and tagged html/web pages.

Hope this helps,

Dave

an electronic format that could then be used on Braille note takers. This
would enable anyone who has a device with a Braille display to be able to
access the manual using the devices Braille display.