[Diabetes-talk] Insulin pen study

Ed Bryant ebryant at socket.net
Mon Mar 30 17:56:12 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I just got back in town and noticed there are several messages about the
insulin pen study. This study is being conducted by Dr. Ann Williams who is
a PhD, RN, CDE, and has much knowledge about diabetes issues concerning the
blind and visually impaired. Indecently the reason for the study is to get
the insulin companies to remove the demeaning language put on insulin pens
by Eli Lilly and Nova Nordisk. The information was on the NFB Resolution
that someone sent to this list regarding insulin pens. I wrote the
resolution and it was anonymously  passed at the NFB Convention in 2008.

Ann will have a supply of insulin pens at the Detroit convention and will
ask Blind diabetics to participate to determine if they have trouble in
drawing up insulin. After drawing up insulin the testers will then make an
injection into a rubber ball. Just note that testers can take their
aggressions out on the rubber ball so they don't have to jab themselves.

This study should show Eli Lilly and Company and Nova Nordisk
Pharmaceuticals Incorporated there is no logical reason why the blind and
visually impaired should not use insulin pens. YOU PROBABLY KNOW MANY BLIND
DIABETICS ALREADY USE INSULIN PENS VERY SUCCESSFULLY WITHOUT ANY
SUPERVISION.

Dr. Williams has done a lot of work on the insulin pen project and I hope
that any of us that use insulin and will be in Detroit volunteer to help
with this study. Note: Ann needs forty blind diabetics and forty sighted
diabetics for her study.

You will hear more about this before long but this is an issue that will
help us show people, especially health professionals, that the blind can
independently draw up insulin using an insulin pen.

Regards,

Ed Bryant