[Diabetes-talk] Appreciation

David Anspach danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Sat May 9 20:10:34 UTC 2009

Hi Amy,
I feel much like you do when it comes to controlling my diabetes. I want to
be in total control of everything including my insulin dosage. When I was
using Lantus along with Humulog, I felt like I had total control of my
insulin dosage. If I needed more long acting Lantus, then I adjusted the
amount I gave myself. The same held true for the Humulog I took before meals
and snacks.

Using an insulin pump definitely has a lot of advantages over injectible
insulin. It can definitely help lower your  A1C reading and give you more
freedom and flexibility than does insulin you must inject daily. But those
positives do come with a few negatives. The biggest negative for me is not
being able to independently adjust my basal rates.  In addition, I cannot
take advantage of many of the more advanced features of my pump due to being
blind. But I can say that the people at Minimed have been pretty helpful
when it comes to making those types of changes.

I  have talked with a number of people at Minimed about the development of
an accessible pump. But I usually get the same response that goes something
like "yes, we have received a number of requests for such a pump, but, it
just isn't in the plans right now. But wait until you see some of the other
new features we are working on." When I hear this type of response, I tend
to become pretty frustrated as I just feel like they don't care about those
of us who are blind and are trying to use a pump to manage our diabetes. I
certainly realize that adding text-to-speech capabilities to an insulin pump
does mean that they might have to modify an existing pump design. But it
sure seems to me that they could do this at the same time they are adding
all of these other "great" features to the pump If they took that type of
approach, then the FDA process would be a mute point and they could then
have an accessible pump. Of course, there is plenty more than just adding
speech capabilities to a pump, but I think they just don't want to take the
time or devote the resource to doing it. In the end, it comes down to what
will make us the most amount of money for the lowest amount of resources.

However, DDI, the makers of the Prodigy Voice meter, are working on an
accessible pump right now. I think they are hoping to get it to market in a
year or so and I can't wait to see the pump and find out what it does. Kelly
Massaro with DDI, is on this list and is actively seeking any comments or
suggestions on what type of features we would like to see in an insulin
pump. I believe that once DDI gets their pump on the market, then we will
see the other manufacturers of pumps get started on their own designs for
accessible pumps. I truly hope that this will get those winds of change
blowing <grin>.

Have a great weekend,

Dave