[Diabetes-talk] looking for info on diabetes and alcohol

catdancing catdancing at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 28 14:13:53 UTC 2009

I hope this helps Paul and Paula

Debbie

  a.. Home
  b.. Current Issue
  c.. Archive
  d.. Contact
  e.. Subscribe
  f.. Help
  g.. About the Journal
  h.. Editorial Board
SearchGO
User Name  Password  Sign In
  a..
  b..
Alcohol Consumption and Type 2 Diabetes
  1.. Madelyn L. Wheeler, MS, RD, CD, FADA, CDE, Coordinator1,
  2.. Marion J Franz, MS, RD, CDE, nutrition and health consultant2 and
  3.. Janice C. Froehlich, PhD3
+Author Affiliations

  1.. 1Research Dietetics at the Diabetes Prevention & Control Center of
Indiana University School of Medicine.
  2.. 2Minneapolis, Minn.
  3.. 3Indiana University School of Medicine, contributed to this article.

Next Section
Question: "What advice can we give to patients with diabetes regarding
alcohol consumption? Modest amounts of wine appear to be healthful for the
heart. Evidence suggests that moderate alcohol improves insulin sensitivity.
The American Diabetes Association's position seems to be `If you don't drink
don't start, but if you drink don't stop.' What is an expert's opinion?"

Answer: A number of epidemiological studies have found an association
between light to moderate alcohol amounts and decreased risk of type 2
diabetes, coronary heart disease, and stroke in persons without diabetes.

The greatest benefit of alcohol appears to fall within study quintiles that
include people drinking 15-30 g/day of alcohol, which can be considered
"light to moderate drinking." One drink of alcohol is commonly defined as 12
oz of beer, 5 oz of wine, or 1.5 oz of distilled spirits (hard liquor), each
the equivalent of about 15 g of alcohol.

Studies suggest a "J" or "U" shaped curve: a small amount of alcohol per day
is better than either no alcohol or a large amount of alcohol. The type of
alcoholic drink doesn't seem to matter. Studies also report an increase in
insulin sensitivity from moderate amounts of alcohol. Finally, studies
indicate that light to moderate amounts of alcohol do not raise blood
pressure, whereas chronic excessive amounts (greater than 30-60 g/day) do.

In people with diabetes, moderate alcohol consumption does not acutely
affect glycemic control, and epidemiological studies indicate that moderate
alcohol consumption for people with diabetes is associated with:

  1.. A decrease in coronary heart disease (it may be one of the few ways to
increase HDL cholesterol),

  2.. A decreased risk for CHD, and

  3.. A reduced risk of mortality.

Sounds like a wonderful therapy so far!

However, no cause-and-effect relationship has yet been established between
alcohol drinking and diabetes. Without clinical evidence from adequately
powered randomized controlled trials, it's hard to justify advising in favor
of alcohol consumption.

While the data on alcohol and cardiovascular disease are still correlative,
the toxic effects of alcohol are well established.

With regard to people with diabetes who have not previously been drinking
alcohol routinely, there is evidence to suggest that they should not be
encouraged to start. This is because alcoholism is, in part, genetically
determined. Certain individuals have genes that predispose them toward
alcoholism and currently there is no way to identify who these individuals
may be. For example, sons of alcoholics are approximately 3 to 5 times more
likely to become alcoholic than are sons of nonalcoholics; sons of
alcoholics, adopted by nonalcoholic families in early life, are still 3
times more likely to become alcoholic than are similarly adopted sons of
nonalcoholics. Hence, encouraging or condoning drinking in these individuals
could contribute to the development of alcohol abuse and alcoholism.

Some people should not drink at all:

  1.. Women who are pregnant or who are trying to become pregnant,

  2.. Recovering alcoholics,

  3.. People who plan to drive or engage in other activities that require
attention or skill,

  4.. People taking certain medications (e.g., antihistamines,
anticonvulsants, antidepressants), and

  5.. People with certain medical conditions (e.g., pancreatitis, advanced
neuropathy, severe hypertriglyceridemia, alcohol abuse). Note though that
there is no evidence to suggest that light-to-moderate amounts of alcohol
have a detrimental effect on triglycerides, even in individuals with
hypertriglyceridemia.

In summary, if a patient has diabetes and is not already drinking alcohol
routinely, he or she shouldn't start. If a patient has diabetes and drinks a
moderate amount of alcohol daily, he/she shouldn't escalate intake because
high chronic alcohol intake (3 or more drinks per day) can cause
deterioration in long- and short-term glucose metabolism. Heavy alcohol
drinkers are strongly advised to reduce consumption.

The current American Diabetes Association position concerning alcohol is: If
individuals choose to drink alcohol (the type doesn't make a difference),
daily intake should be limited to one drink for adult women and two drinks
for adult men; to reduce risk of hypoglycemia, alcohol should be consumed
with food.

Previous SectionNext Section
Footnotes
  a.. Do you have a clinical question? Send your query to
docnews at diabetes.org

  b.. American Diabetes Association, Inc.
Previous Section

References
  1.. American Diabetes Association: Nutrition Principles and
Recommendations in Diabetes (position statement). Diabetes Care 27(Suppl.
1):S36 -S46, 2004.
  2.. Franz MJ, et al: Evidence-based nutrition principles and
recommendations for the treatment and prevention of diabetes and related
complications (Technical Review). Diabetes Care 25: 148-198, 2002.
  FREE Full Text
  a.. CiteULike
  b.. Del.icio.us
  c.. Digg
  d.. Reddit
  e.. Technorati
  f.. Facebook
  g.. Twitter
What's this?

« Previous | Next Article »Table of Contents
This Article
  1.. DOC NEWS October 2004 vol. 1 no. 2 7
  1.. » Full Text
- Services
  1.. Email this article to a colleague
  2.. Similar articles in this journal
  3.. Download to citation manager
  4..
  5.. No patientINFORMation available for this article
+ Citing Articles
  1.. No citing articles
  2.. Citing articles via Google Scholar
+ Google Scholar
  1.. Articles by Wheeler, M. L.
  2.. Articles by Froehlich, J. C.
  3.. Search for related content
+ PubMed
  1.. Articles by Wheeler, M. L.
  2.. Articles by Froehlich, J. C.
+ Social Bookmarking
  1.. a.. CiteULike
    b.. Del.icio.us
    c.. Digg
    d.. Reddit
    e.. Technorati
    f.. Facebook
    g.. Twitter
  What's this?

Navigate This Article
  1.. Top
  2..
  3.. Footnotes
  4.. References
Current Issue
  1.. January 2008, 5 (1)
  1..
+ From the Cover
  a.. A fond goodbye to DOC
  b.. Combo exercise lowers A1Cs
  c.. Med diet dishes up CVD benefits
  d.. The rise of the doc/pharmacist duo
  e.. AHA: Energy drink dangers
  f.. AHA: PAD rates jump
  g.. AHA: Fast for heart health?
  h.. DASH dieters more often CHD free
  i.. OS: Simple strolls forestall heart disease
  j.. Debating antibody testing in gestational diabetes
  k.. Virtual blood-glucose tracking
  l.. More evidence of an obesity paradox
  m.. Tricks to elicit the truth
  a.. Access & Advocacy
  b.. Cardiovascular Disease
  c.. Clinical News
  d.. Clinical Trials
  e.. Clinical Tools
  f.. Conference Coverage
  g.. Diet & Nutrition
  h.. Drug Therapy
  i.. National Politics
  j.. Pediatric Care
  k.. Physical Fitness
  l.. Public Health
  m.. Risk Reduction
  n.. Self-Care Trends
  a.. Ask the Expert
  b.. From the Editor
  c.. From the Journals
  d.. Letters to the Editor
  e.. DOC Marketplace
  f.. News Briefs
  a.. Diabetes
  b.. Diabetes Care
  c.. Clinical Diabetes
  d.. Diabetes Spectrum

Copyright © 2009 by the American Diabetes Association

  a.. Print ISSN: 1552-2024
  b.. Online ISSN: 1937-6987