[Diabetes-talk] depression

Chanelle Hill chanellemh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 00:30:41 UTC 2009

A combination of medication and therapy has really helped my depression
improve. I have found that when I get really depressed I tend to neglect my
diabetes care (not checking blood sugar levels, taking too much or two
little insulin, eating unhealthily, etc). When I got on medication for
depression, I had more energy and motivation to take care of myself. Talking
to a trusted friend, going outside for fresh air and exercise, getting
plenty of sleep, eating healthy, reading a good book, and listening to
classical music have helped me when I am down. It is important to figure out
what works for you. I have always been overwhelmed by several different
suggestions, so sometimes it is simpler to put what you think might be the
one or two easiest things for you into practice and then add more. If you
are not able to get yourself to do something, then talking to a doctor would
be beneficial. It is important to remember that "this too shall pass" and
you won't always be feeling down or experiencing difficulties with diabetes.
My depression didn't result from diabetes or blindness. I have read a few
articles suggesting that people with diabetes are more likely to have
depression.
I hope that you start feeling better.
Chanelle