[Diabetes-talk] diabetic shoes

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 15 13:47:58 UTC 2009

see that is where you went wrong, the dr office knows that they have had
problems and that is why they made you sign it, that is against the law,
because they are making a profit on the insurance as well as the shoe
company and you.

With medicare you only get one pair from them free a year and the shoes run
around  why I don't know I find them very cheaply made and very rarely wear
mine.

You have to realize the dr office is a business, I plan on writing an
article for the braille monitor on the subject soon.

I am also giving a couple of speeches at my state convention one is on HIPAA
to the general convention and one is on getting diabetic supplies and shoes
to our luncheon on a possible DAN Chapter here in NY.

So from both after convention I plan on writing articles on both so keep an
eye out, maybe next year if I can get some funding make it to Dallas, and if
Mike will allow me maybe I can give a lecture or two on the subject.

You are never stuck at all, that is wrong, and no you are not screwed you
don't know a lot of people don't know.

I was asked to chair a committee by Ed Bryant and still waiting for others
to agree, this is something that not only diabetics need to be aware of but
all people who go to the dr and get supplies such as shoes, or insulin
supplies, or canes, and walkers.

We need to help the people of our community meaning the blind to take hold
of there insurance issues, and know there rights, guess what your insurance
company doesn't want to waste money either, especially medicare or any other
insurance if they find out what the dr are doing they will put a stop to it
believe me there are fines.

Give you an example.  I ordered shoes 3 months prior to convention,
everytime I called the dr office no they are not in yet, well mind you I
also stopped going to that dr as well, because I felt that they weren't
doing there job properly.

I also didn't sign any paperwork at the dr office for the shoes they just
fitted my foot, in dallas, I went to the Shrevesport Diabetic Shoe vendor
and they measured my feet and said they will contact my primary care dr to
make sure that I am diabetic or you can give your diabetic if in dallas they
come back again do not I repeat do not give them the podiatrist name, just
the others, give them your insurance cards, they will do the rest.

go my shoes less then a month later, there were a few problems I sent them
back free of charge and they fixed them, in fact they sent me the foam box
to fit my foot, the problem with the shoes was that I have 2 amputated toes
and they were suppose to put fittings in the shoe for where the toes were
because I know walk a little stronger with the support there.

Anyway, I didn't sign anything until I was sure the shoes fitted correctly,
Medicare will not pay until you sign off on the shoes.

Okay we jump to February 2009 6 months after getting my shoes from
shrevesport, and I get my medicare statement of what they pay and what they
didn't always have someone read them to you or have it scanned so you can
read it, a lot of times you don't know what is going on and you need to see
if anyone made mistakes and sure enough,  Medicare paid my podatrist and not
shrevesport, I called Medicare and the dr office they said the shoes were
there if I wanted them, I said that I never signed off on them no one from
the dr office called me to tell me they were in and after 3 months of
waiting I went somewhere else, I said that I am a medicare recipient I
didn't sign off on the shoes, and that is fraud.  Still in the works right
now Medicare takes its time but in fact I have to call Medicare tomorrow to
find out, I need new shoes and I don't want to use shrevsport until Medicare
pays them.

You see you can fit it, even if you signed something.  You are not screwed.

Cheryl Echevarria