[Diabetes-talk] talking insulin pump remote: Pump Mate

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Apr 10 16:58:59 UTC 2010

Eileen:

All I can say is "amen" to your diabetes philosophy. However, I strongly
disagree with your opinion that we won't find a cure for diabetes in the
immediate future because there's too much money to be made from diabetes
treatment. I know this view is quite widespread; I'm sure Debby would
subscribe to it also. But, in my opinion, it is wide of the mark and
exhibits a basic fallacy in thinking.

The purpose of drug companies -- those ogres making all that ill-gotten
money off of us diabetics -- is to make a prophet for their stockholders.
Put more simply, their purpose is to make money by developing and
manufacturing drugs and devices to ameliorate or cure pain and other vexing
side-effects of diseases and, in some instances, to cure them. Their purpose
is not, as some would have it, to do basic research to find cures for
disease. That is the province of academia. There is no hidden agenda to keep
a cure for diabetes from us; it's just that basic research takes time,
effort and money (and Federal subsidies for basic research have been cut
back by Congress of late). And diabetes, be it Type 1 or Type 2, is a very
complex disease (or, more accurately, is a whole slew of complex diseases
which may or may not interact and whose cures may have wider consequences,
at least in terms of what we currently know of Type 1 which affects the
immune system).

Please read Gretchen Becker's article at:

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/5068/106677/cure

Mike