[Diabetes-talk] Eating fresh fruit vs Juice for the diabetic

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 14:11:28 UTC 2010

This comes directly from the ADA.  American Diabetes Association to which I
am a member of.

People with diabetes often have questions about eating fruit: Will fruit
juice raise my blood glucose levels more quickly than a piece of fruit?
Should I avoid fruit in the morning because my blood glucose might be higher
than at other times in the day? Is it better to eat fruit with meals rather
than with snacks? Determine the fruit that is best for you to eat after
considering your nutrition and your blood glucose goals. Here's how to
figure out whether it's best to have fruit at meals or at snacks. Use
glucose monitoring to answer your questions about how fruit works in your
body. Eat the fruit and check your glucose level about 1 to 2 hours after
you eat it. Another important key is to eat the proper servings of fruit.
It's easy to drink a few extra ounces of fruit juice or to call a huge piece
of fruit one serving when it is really two or more.

How-to-Tips for Buying, Preparing, and Eating More Fruits

Take advantage of the pre-cut, ready-to-eat fruit available in today's
supermarkets. This makes it easy to have fruit at the ready.
Add berries to cereal, plain yogurt, or light sour cream or use them to top
pancakes, waffles, ice cream, or frozen yogurt.
Take one or two pieces of fruit from home each day to eat with lunch, as an
afternoon snack, or on your way home to take the edge off your hunger.
Keep frozen fruit with no added sugar around. Blend it into a breakfast
shake or smoothie or use as a topping for ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Serve fruit with the main course-applesauce with pork chops or roast,
pineapple with ham, homemade cranberry sauce with chicken

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
C10-10646

http://Echevarriatravel.com