[Diabetes-talk] Question Re Expiration Dates On Diabetic Prescriptions.

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 22:48:48 UTC 2010

I have just recently done a little testing and these are my results.

I had test strips for the Prodigy Voice that had by the manufacturer a use
by date of December 1, 2009   I had new strips that I had just gotten  with
a use by date a year later.  I tested using the expired strips and the
reading was 256.  I immediately retested with the new strips using the same
pricked finger and came up with a reading of 150.  I did one more test with
the new strips and pricking another finger and came up with 154.

I did toss out the old strips, but I was curious and that is why I did the
testing.  The old strips tested a little more then 100 higher.  since  I
take coverage calculating test results, counting carbs I would have over
calculated my slow acting coverage with the old test strips.

So I find it weird that the pharmacy is putting dates.  I would say it  is
up to the Manufacture and the Drug FDA to have rules on expiration dates for
 products like this.

Joyce