[Diabetes-talk] Insulin Pens

Debbie Fredericks catdancing at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 22 22:47:05 UTC 2010

i know what pen u r talking about but for the life of me ican't remember the name of it. i used to use. here is some info on insulin needeles for insulin pens.
Debbie

Live in the US and have an hour to help Wikipedia?   Let's do it!
Pen needles
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
 This article is an orphan, as few or no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; suggestions are available. (January 2010)
 This article contains instructions, advice, or how-to content. The purpose of Wikipedia is to present facts, not to train. Please help improve this article either by rewriting the how-to content or by moving it to Wikiversity or Wikibooks. (October 2009)
Pen needles are used in conjunction with injection pens to deliver injectable medications into the body.
A pen needle consists of a hollow needle which is embedded in a plastic hub and attaches to injection pens. Pen needles come in a variety of needle lengths and diameters and are used by both health professionals and patients for injection of a variety of medications. They are commonly used by people with diabetes who often require multiple daily insulin injections.
Needle technology has changed over the past decades. Many years ago home use syringe needles were large, and had to be sterilized and sharpened by hand by patients themselves. Today’s pen needles are engineered and manufactured for greater comfort and ease of use with electro-polishing for needle smoothness; thin, fine point tips for ease in penetration; lubrication for less friction and more glide; plastic caps for safety; and individual wrapping for sterility. Injection pen and pen needles are an alternative drug delivery method to the traditional vial/syringe method.
Contents[hide]
	* 1 Background
	* 2 The advantage of pens and pen needles
	* 3 Pen needle construction
	* 4 Pen needle terminology
	* 5 Pen needle availability
	* 6 Choosing a pen needle
	* 7 Where to inject
	* 8 Needle disposal
	* 9 See also
	* 10 References
	* 11 External links
[edit] Background
Insulin and other injectable medications are commonly administered with drug delivery pens. Pens are one of the easiest and fastest-growing methods for administering insulin and other injectable medication. The medication either comes in a disposable pen or in a cartridge for use with a re-usable pen. The user generally dials a dose of medicine, attaches the pen needle, then injects the medicine under the skin. Highly popular for more than 20 years in Europe, use of injection pens and pen needles is rapidly spreading in the U.S. for diabetes care and other non-diabetes drugs.
As technology and competition advance, driving the desire for more comfortable and more effective injections, the design of the pen needle and its parts has become more and more important. Some of the newest pen needle designs proactively address ease of use, injection flow, ergonomic handling, injection depth control and accuracy, and safe use from transport to disposal.
[edit] The advantage of pens and pen needles
Compared to the older vial/syringe method, pens and pen needles are designed for easier, more discreet use, greater convenience and delivery of a more accurate dose. As well, with pens and pen needles you no longer need to push the needle through the rubber vial stopper. Without this step, the tip of the needle better retains its sharpness and lubrication for a more comfortable injection.
[edit] Pen needle construction
Each pen needle is embedded in a plastic hub that can attach to the pen by means of a click-on[1] fit or twist-on fitting. Two protective caps (outer and inner caps) protect the user and the needle. The peel foil protects the sterility of the needle and holds information such as lot number, and needle length and gauge. Pen needles vary by needle length and diameter (gauge).
[edit] Pen needle terminology
There are two main characteristics of a pen needle: gauge (diameter or thinness) and length.
Gauge
The diameter or thinness of a pen needle is measured by its gauge (G). The greater the gauge number, the thinner the needle. The thinner the insulin pen needle, the less pain those receiving the injection may feel.
Length
Length of a pen needle is measured in millimeters (mm). The length of the needle impacts the depth of the injection. An 8 mm needle has been the most common length used with insulin pens, although shorter needles are growing in use.
[edit] Pen needle availability
There are many different pen needles offered in varying lengths and diameters. Availability of specific lengths and sizes vary by country.
	* Owen Mumford supplies Unifine Pentips in three lengths: 6mm and 8mm (31G) and 12 mm (29G).
	* Becton Dickinson supplies BD pen needles in three lengths: 5mm and 8mm (31G), and 12.7mm (29G)
	* Novo Nordisk pen needles, called NovoFine, come in 6mm (31G), 6mm (32G tip) or 8mm (30G)
	* Ypsomed’s Penfine and Clickfine pen needles come in 6mm (31G), 8mm (31G) 10mm (29G) and 12mm (29G).
The smallest pen needles are very short and very thin and help minimize the discomfort of injection. Because of their bigger inner diameters, larger diameter pen needles help large dose volumes to flow more quickly and with less manual strength through the needle.
[edit] Choosing a pen needle
Many factors figure into choosing the appropriate pen needle. Pen needle manufacturers advise that users consult their healthcare professional for advice on choosing the most appropriate pen needle.
Injection Technique
The proper injection technique affects which needle length is best for you. Inject straight in or at an angle. Injecting at a 90° angle (vertically) is the most common injection technique. Some people who inject with longer needles insert them at an angle to help avoid injecting in the muscle tissue.
Body Build
A person's build and amount of body fat (subcutaneous tissue) is an important element in considering which pen needle length to choose. Body Mass Index (BMI) is one way to calculate the amount of body fat. The CDC [2] (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) has a BMI calculator for adults, children and teenagers. Children and thin, young adults may need to choose the shortest needles.
Compatibility
Compatibility identifies which pen needle can be used with a specific brand of injection or insulin pen. Most pen needle manufacturers design their pen needles for either universal fit or fit with all major injection pen brands, and provide information about compatibility.
Attachment
Pen needles can either screw-on or click-on to attach to an injection pen. While most pen needles screw-on to attach, one pen needle made in Switzerland with a patented technology by Ypsomed AG (sold in the US under the name Clickfine), allows the user to either click-on or screw-on the needle to attach.
Using a pen needle that clicks-on to attach may be beneficial for people with arthritis, other manual dexterity issues, or vision impairment.
Dose Size
People taking large dose volumes may chose pen needles with bigger inner diameters. Larger diameter pen needles such as 29g, help large dose volumes flow more quickly and with less manual strength through the needle.
[edit] Where to inject
It is important that injections are given into the proper areas of the body. In general, a health professional determines the best injection site for a patient. There are several recommended injection sites including the abdomen, parts of the buttocks and thigh areas. Health professionals advise that patients keep at least two fingers width (3 cm) away from the navel when injecting.
Common injection sites include:
	* Upper side area of the arms
	* Abdomen (except area close to the naval)
	* Front and sides of thighs
	* Upper and outer surfaces of the buttocks
The most reliable and consistent absorption of insulin occurs when it is delivered into the layer of tissue (subcutaneous adipose tissue, or “fat”) located between the skin and the muscle.
Injection Safety Considerations

	* Perform an 'airshot' with a few units of medication before giving an injection
	* Inject in a place below the skin, but above the muscle (in the subcutaneous tissue)
	* Inject slowly according to instructions from a medical practitioner and injection pen instructions − keep the needle in the skin for at least 6 seconds after injecting
	* Once the needle has entered the skin surface, do not change the angle of the injection pen. A change in the angle could cause the needle to break or get stuck in the skin
	* Change injection sites between injections. If this is not done, tissue hardening may result
	* Change the needle after each injection.
	* Remove the pen needle immediately to prevent air from entering the cartridge and to prevent insulin from leaking out.
[edit] Needle disposal
To reduce the risk of injury to others, pen needles should be disposed of in a puncture resistant container such as a sharps container [link sharps container to its wiki page], following local regulations. For added safety, the container should be labeled as sharps medical waste.
[edit] See also
	* Clickfine pen needles
	* Insulin injection
	* Sharps container
	* Sharps waste
[edit] References
	1. ^ Swiss-made pen needles by Ypsomed AG (sold under the name Clickfine in the US) use their patented click-on technology which allows users to click on the pen needle to attach it.
	2. ^ CDC – BMI Calculation Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
[edit] External links
	* Clickfine Pen Needles
	* Ypsomed AG
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_needles"
Categories: Medical equipment
Hidden categories: Orphaned articles from January 2010 | All orphaned articles | Articles needing cleanup from October 2009 | All pages needing cleanup | Articles containing how-to sections
	* Article
	* Discussion
	* Edit this page
	* History
Personal tools
	* Try Beta
	* Log in / create account
Navigation
	* Main page
	* Contents
	* Featured content
	* Current events
	* Random article

Interaction
	* About Wikipedia
	* Community portal
	* Recent changes
	* Contact Wikipedia
	* Donate to Wikipedia
	* Help
Toolbox
	* What links here
	* Related changes
	* Upload file
	* Special pages
	* Printable version
	* Permanent link
	* Cite this page
	* This page was last modified on 25 January 2010 at 20:55.

	* Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.

	*