[Diabetes-talk] Solo V2 Announcement

Vincent Chaney vgc732 at optonline.net
Tue Mar 30 04:55:24 UTC 2010

Mike and the Diabetes-Talk Member List,

Mike, as our president, I am answering you first and will get back to all
others who have had questions or comments. I had been away for 5 days if
anyone had missed my statements in my messages last week.

order.

(2) The statement of the need to extend the time to test I approached as a
medical necessity. I have had diabetes for nearly 48 years now and to make
light of it, I am a skimpy bleeder. With a degree of neuropathy and after
affects from arthritis medicines I have taken for over 10 years, finding the
location of the puncture site is sometimes an issue. I have been testing my
blood glucose for over 25 years when I used the Accu-Chek Freedom prior to
using the Accu-Chek Voice Mate and then the Prodigy Voice. I have shared
with my doctors I have problems from October 1st through April 1 the next
year due to cold and drier conditions in New Jersey. I will give Jordan
Benis credit with his insuring me if I was more diligent in applying skin
conditioner to my finger tips I would have less problems and he was right.
This though did not completely correct my bleeding all the time with my
tough skin and scarring from all the tests I have done. For you as a 5 year
diabetic, I am glad you have not yet had any of these problems and hopefully
never will.
Why did I suggest five minutes, I found the three minutes was too
frustrating for me as I have taken 10 minutes or more of multiple pokes,
(frown) and still not be certain of the accuracy of my results. I saw the
redesign of the Accu-Chek Voice Mate, medically approved in Canada but not
yet FDA in the US, to have extended the test time to 6 minutes but thought
that would not affectively aid in the test and may lessen the battery life
and require more frequent battery changes and may not be worth the time
extension. I have included every trick to aid in my bleeding I know, i.e.
warming my hands, shaking my hands, tapping or scratching the planned
puncture site, etc. I would test at least twice and often a third when I had
too large a difference in my results (the 20 percent deviations allowed by
the FDA).
I am aware of blind and visually impaired diabetic clients of rehab nurse
trainers and CDEs of having difficulty locating the blood while being
trained and then afterwards. Many people due to loss of sight later in life,
multiple disabilities and a plethora of other reasons may have difficulty
and the time extension from a "usability" point-of-view, may assist in their
lessening of problem situations and thus a continuation to test.

(1) You are very in tune with believing time may be the real test for the
low blood sample verification. I know with my 3 or 4 weeks of testing I only
had one "not enough blood" though I am aware someone else had gotten the low
sample error message more often. Personally, if I see my HGBA1C results
lowering, I believe this will support the blood sample volume level
verification. Any other meter and strip today will give results, though
inaccurate, without enough blood. Some of the sighted testers may get some
type of error or visual indicator on the strip if insufficient to aid them
in their testing. How this technically works for the Solo V2 with the low
blood message to me is a new generation of blood glucose monitors and
strips. If true to its design, this  may be the best new addition to assist
us diabetics whom are visually impaired and blind.

Vinny
Vincent Chaney Jr
NFB Diabetes Action Network (DAN) Board
NFBNJ Diabetes Division President
NJAGDU Division President
NFBNJ Technology Division Vice President
NFBNJ.ORG Webmaster