[Diabetes-talk] Fw: information about blindness and diabetis

Rhonda Coe coe at impactcil.org
Tue Mar 30 13:00:17 UTC 2010

Morning Mike
Learning Braille when you have diabetic neuropathy does pose a problem.
Jumbo Braille helps but I have found it difficult to read because it is
so spread out.  But no matter how large you make it if you don't have
the sensitivity in your fingers, the ability to identify the brailed
won't change.  Yes keeping your fingers moist and soft helps and you can
use your nail at times to help find the bumps but as I said without the
sensitivity it is just frustration.  You can also use laminated Braille
pages, however because they are made from plastic it tears up your
fingers.  As with anything if there is a will there is a way, but in my
humble opinion with technology as it is today.  We diabetics have other
alternatives in reading, labeling and communication.  Have any of you
seen the Pen Friend Audio Labeler?  It is a fabulous way of labeling.
It is a device that is actually an MP3/recorder with a 1G memory.  Up to
80 hours of record time.  It comes with adhesive discs and you can
record information on them i.e. use them for medications, phone numbers
recopies, CD/DVD, freezer foods, it is limit less as to what you could
label.  It will not work on clothes that you will wash or launder
because the discs are adhesive and will come off.  You just record on
the disc and then use the Pen Friend to read what you have recorded. You
can go to the RNIB.org.UK website  or go to independentliving.com
Technology is a wonderful thing.  And I think this product is super.  My
husband is total and he loves it.
Have a Great Day
Rhonda Bargiel, ILS
Blind Services Coordinator